• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

15+ years of the big D and they just told me I have Crohn's

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Hi, my name is Jim but all my friends call me Pops, not because I'm 61, but when I was touring with my band from 1980 through 1988 I was the Leader and always on they guys about stay'n out to later, drinking too much and not letting them drink or smoke before they went on stage, they said that I was being like thier Mon and Dad, so they started calling me Pops as a joke and it stuck. Now that I'm older it fits just fine. About my crohn's. For the last 15+ years I just thought that I had IBS-D 4-6 times a day. But when I retired it got bad fast and I lost 20lbs the first year. (5'10" and down to 139, I use to be around 185 and in good shape around 1998, but lbs were coming off so slow nobody thought anything about it until THAT year.) Now that I have it, it would be nice to change storys and talk about my new friend CROHN'S.
I look forward to making new friends now that I have all the time in the world now that I'm retired and Loving every day of it. :)
They gave me Pendasa 250mg 4 pills 4 x a day. I started them 3 days ago, my first crohen's meds.I was having a flair and going 6-8 times a day. I must have a mild case because in just 3 days, today for the first time in a long time I had a small, but normal BM. Ya buddy. No more pain in my gut and I can now say that I'm not wondering when passing gas.(if you know what I meen) It worked that fast for me. Knock on wood. I know I will have flairs, but I'm a happy Pops tonight. I feel so good about it I feel like giving it a test and eat a raw onion. LOL not realy. I didn't think it would work after looking at other sites and not finding much possative info on the use of Pendasa. They were saying all kinds bad things about it so, needless to say I didn't have much hope. Well "Right now" I'm very happy and could go on and on but I'll save you and stop now.

PS: I know there will be flairs coming someday and I'll "NEED YA ALL"

Have a great day and God bless you.

Pops:smile:

Last edited:

Jessi

Heya Pops! Welcome to the family! I'm so glad that you've found and joined us. It's always nice to have someone with your kind of energy.

I'm happy that the Pentasa has worked so quickly for you. I hope you continue to improve on it.

Please make yourself at home here. You'll find a lot of support and make friends quickly. :hug:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Pops! That is wonderful news that Pentasa is helping already! I hope it continues to work for you, and future flares aren't an issue.

You may also want to watch you diet a little bit more carefully. We are all different, but a few things that seem to bother most are raw fruites & veggies, high fiber foods, corn, popcorn, and nuts.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Happy

Thanks for all the welcomes. NICE. I don't think you will know my band, but maybe. We toured west of the Mississippi River, mostly the West coast. from 1980-88, We were called "FLASHBACK" we opened for alot of the top bands in that time. Tower of Power, Eddie Money, The Dubbie Bro's, Huey Louis and the News, Elvin Biship just to name a few. Never made it real BIG, but had a hell of a ride. I still play once in a while. I owne a production co. and sound co form 1989-2010 called JVD Productions. But I did go back on stage in 07 with my co. vedio dept in 07 to make a DVD to put away for the grandkids and get a HIGH from being on stage again. We did it for a good cause. ACS Walk for Life. And it was a blast. I got a call from a old friend about two weeks later and he said he heard that I was play'n again and wanted to book a tour for me. I told him "no way" I'm getting ready to retire and I did in 08. Now I find myself playing the guitar every day and wrighting songs. I have even sold 3 so far. I love retirement, just Kick'n it, doing what ever I want. Every day is Saturday for me. lol
I sure hope the Pentasa keeps working. So far so good. 15+ years of fearing the fart. lol Sorry for that, I couldn't help myself.

POPS

Last edited:

Jessi

LOL. Fearing the fart... What I fear is the juicy kind. :D

I love your attitude. You are a riot! It's great to have you here.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Thank you. I wish I didn't have crohons, but I look on the bright side. I get to met people like ya ALL, so that is a good thing. I feel this way,"it is what it is, and that's , that" I don't say theres nothing I can do about it because there is. Stay strong, keep happy, eat right, lol, and live for today and don't think about whats coming my way, rather live in the momment with a smile, be it good or bad. There is always someone worse off than me. @ my age (61) I don't want to waste my time feeling sorry for myself. Thats not good for anyone know matter HOW OLD YOU ARE. Thats my story and I'm stick'n too it.
It just started to rain,,, yaaaa hooooo, I'm out back in the cabin (Man Cave) with the wood bruning stove going and I can hear the rain on the roof. The only thing I need is a pot of something cooking on top of the woodstove, cook'n r e a l s l o w and some homemade bread, play'n my guitar waiting for it to be done. Dam, I'm making myself hungery. This is day 6 on Pentasa and its doing a pretty good job. Haven't "Pinched" one yet, but It will happen any day now, I can feel it. ( I really can't feel it, that what I pray will happen, and it will in due time. lol)
Talk to ya all latter.
Jim (POPS)

Pentasa is a very mild drug, concerning side effects, you should be perfectly fine, add to the fact it's doing it's job! =D

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Thanks for the note. I must have a mild case of crohons, my GI Doc. said that my colen looked good but from the little snip's he took he said that some were thicker than others suggesting crohons. I had the BIG "D" for 15 years and at the end iumoduim didn't do much but keep the gas inside me and I couln't, well, break wind and my tummy hurt like hell all the time. Now after just 6 days, I don't have a problum with gas, I still have it but like I said, I no longer fear the fart. lol and it WILL come out to play now, without its best friend, Mr water. LMAO. I only had 2 BM's yestuday and one today so far and it's after 6pm. MAN WHAT A DIFFERANCE. I'm digg'n it. I can't wait to gain somemore lbs. 5'10" and was down to 139, I gained about 10lbs back in the last 8-10 weeks just to throw it in my primary Dr's face. My GI Doc is cool. Were going fishing in a few weeks, but my primary Dr. is a ass. After getting down to 139 I was getting worryed and went to him and the first thing he said was, "We got to look for cancer" I told him, well I gave him a piece of my mind telling him, "If thats the way you feel, why don't you just shoot me. Your bed side manner sucks, do you talk to everyone that way" he didn't know what to say. 6 weeks later I went back and was 149 and he said," So, how many layers of clothes do you have on" I looked at him and said, " I'm wereing the samething as last time I saw you right down to my draws" He didn't know what to say. I have Kaiser, so I'm going to change Dr's AND they made a mistake sending me a servey about my appt. with him, lets just say I was not very nice. I'm not like that most of the time, but when a Dr. treats me or anyone that way, I can get nasty. I think he has a chip on his sholder because he knows that I was makng my living at my dream job. MUSIC!!!!!!!! and could buy and sell 2 of him.
I can't leave on a bad note, I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend without thinking about crohons, rather enjoying LIFE with crohons.
Seeeeeee Ya ALL later, and no, I'm not from the south, California, about 45 min. from San Francisco.
PS: If your income meets your needs, your needs are all you desire, YOU ARE RICH!!!!!!!!!

Jim (POPS)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Pop's :welcome: !!! I see you have made alot of friends already! I too am one of the older Crohnies but not quite as mature as you ;) I have a friend in CA and she goes to a young Gi there in Kaiser and she calls him Ding dong so not sure if you had him. She knows more than him and she is only 29!

You are lucky you are in the early stages and Pentasa is mild. I know you can't live the disease but just make sure you look after yourself.

I was a teen in the mid 70's and I have heard of some of the groups you backed up and Eddie Money was supposed to play here but we had a bad storm here, only Kim Mitchell made it for about 30 mins and Boston was supposed to be the real Boston but they weren't. The acoustics were lousy because of the winds. OH well it went for a great cause. Kim Mitchell is one of my faves. He was playing at my highschool as a teen lol.

I am retired but not by choice, my disease has always given me grief after my second resection. But as you say, you have to play the hand your dealt with and I am grateful for where I am and my family.

So glad you found our motley crew!!!! Hope to see ya around! :banana:

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Glad to met you. Eddie Money is a friend of mine and lives about 25 min. from me. He still plays concerts and when I owned JVD Productions I would do the sound and lights for him. I still talk to some of the bands we opened for and have been friends with them for years. Due to spine problums I also had to retire sooner than I wanted to. I think I've had crohons for about 10-15 years but if so it is a mild case. I lost 45lbs over the past 8 years or so. They always said I had IBS-D. Being that the Pendasa works and the Dr. said everything looks OK, I'm hoping that it won't hit me to hard as I get older. My wife also has IBD and had her collen removed about 25+years ago. She was fine up untill about 5 years ago and finaly about 1 1/2 years ago she had a operation and now has a bag on her side. So, I know what it can do to you first hand. I feel blessed that @ this time I am at the early stages. From what I can find on the net. if Pendasa works for you, your not to bad. We'll see. Eather way, I'm not going to let it get me down. It can mess up my body, but there is NOTHING it can do to my mind if I don't let it. Sure I get down sometimes but not for long. What are they going to do, threaten me with Heaven. lol I'm going to keep positive and keep on truck'n.
Thank you for sending me a note. I'm finding alot of friends and suport at this site.

PS: a little JVD Production story. I was doing sound for Eddie Money and Todd Rundrean and Eddie was in the make-up chair when Todd walked in. They both are from NY. Eddie said, "ha Todd, what part of NY are you from, Todd messed around with his bags for a sec. and said to Eddie, "The part of NY where the F'n front MEN don't wear NO F'n make-up" It was funny as hell. I still jab at Eddie about that when I see him.

Jim (POPS)

Hi, Jim & welcome.

I was first diagnosed with uc in my late teens & have been struggling with tummy issues all my life.

I'm now the ripe old age of 62 & decided enough is enough, I have to get some kind of answers & hopefully relief from somebody.

The first Gastro I saw 10 years ago was just miserable.
I told him that Dr.s like him bury their mistakes & stormed out of his office.

That put me off Gastros for a good 10 years & I just dealt with it the best I could.

My weight fluctuates 100 lbs. 1 way or the other depending on how bad the gut kicks up, so you can just imagine what my closet looks like !

About 16 months ago, something kicked up again & I dropped 60 lbs. in 2 months.

I found the best Gastro in my area & went to see him.
Here we go again with all the tests & he says it looks like Crohns.
Just as it looks like somebody can name the demon in my belly, he goes & gets himself in an accident that is going to end his career.
Can I pick them, or what ?

I have an appt. to see another Doc. in his practice this week & I hope the other Doc kept good notes.

Let me congratulate you on your positive attitude & awesome sense of humor.

It's nice to see that the med is giving you relief.

Keep on truckin' POPS & don't let it get you down.

Wishing you all the best.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Good Morning,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(Viet Nam, not realy, talking like Forest Gump,"I didn't care for that place much) good old USA. (I was in Nam 1969-70)
Well, day 7 on Pentasa and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well lets just say, I only went once Sat., still some water but it's starting to "Tighten UP" (Good song by the way) Can't wait till I pinch one, its been a LONG time. I feel great, no side effects from Pentasa, and I'm eating everything I can get my hands on. I know I should watch what I eat, but thats very hard when I use to fear eating. I do have to say it's get'n old taking 16 Pentasa a day. Does anyone take less than that? My Dr. put me on 4, 4 X a day. I'm hoping this will work as a "load dose" and I can cut back some. Eather way, I like whats going on right now. Its the boom. I heck-a-like it. (See Pops is still HIP. lol)
Sunday is family old school Dinner day. I have 3 kids, 2 boys 1 girl and they each have a kid. Nana (Terrie, my wife of 38 year) has always said to all the kids that Sunday is dinner day, come if you want, but if you don't want too, thats cool as well. MOST of the time, ALL the kids and grandkids come over. I can't wait till they come today. I can tell Piper, my grand daughter, to pull my finger and I won't have to be sett'n on the pot. No I've never had a grandkid pull my finger while on the pot. LMAO, sometimes I crack myself up. You guys must think Pops is crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Not realy, I just never grew up and never will
I hope you all have a wonderful day, and thank you for being hear for me. See ya later.

Pops.

David

Co-Founder
Hiya Pops and welcome :) Nice to meet you!

You mentioned spine problems. Would you like to elaborate a little on what's going on there? Some spinal stuff can actually be related to IBD.

All my best to you!

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
It's not related. I have spinall stanoses. (I can"t spell it) The narrowing of the spine casing around my cord in my neck. Its from something I did over the years, can't remmber what. I was a big drunk until 5 years ago and fell down alot LOL. It's an injury. But, I do have pain in all my goints, but they did a few MRI's and said it is osteo crap. (Advanced) So I have to take Norco 10/325 for that pain. I was up to 6-7 a day until about 3 months ago and I cut back to 4 a day. That was not fun at all. You can only cut back 1/2 a pill every two weeks to stay away from withdraws. I stopped at 4 to give myself a rest and even out. I'm having my appendix removed on the 10 of this month and after that I plan on cutting back somemore. Stress had alot to do with the pain, In the last 3 years I lost my Mom, Dad, Job and almost lost my wife from a illness, (she is fine now) on top of that I had what I though was IBS-acroding to my reg. Dr. I went from 180to 139lbs in three years, 20 of it was lost over the last year. about a month ago they did over 30 test and found out for sure that I have crohns. My world was crashing down around me. NOW evrything is GREAT. No one sick but me lol. I'm having my appendix removed because when they did the old camera up the bottom they saw a small tumar/or it could be something eles, less than 2cm in size and if it is. cancer (very small chance of that, only about 1,000 people in the USA get that a year) removing it is a cure. So, after that operation and now that my crohns is under control with Pentasa, everything will be good. Sorry for the long story, but I enjoy the true friendship's at this site and it gives me a chance to vent about life. Mostly possative things about life.
Funny, I've been healty all my 61 years (until I stopped drinking, I think I was too drunk to know or care if I was not healty)
After the appendix all I will have to deal with is the crohns, and I will not live my life around crohns, I will live life with crohns. I'm in a very possative place right now and chose too stay there, FOREVER. Nice to met you and hope to talk with you again.

Pops don't spend alot of time think'n about your crohns,
it takes away from the time ahead of you.
You have to put a turnacut on it. And thats the truth.

PS: a little wisdom from Pops:

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I am so happy I found this site. There is alot of GOOD people in hear. Before I retired I was on the road doing music things and steeping in Hotels about 200 nights a year for 10 years. I have alot of friends, but most of them are STILL on the road and all the ones I had before I became a Road Dog dude, are gone. Just a few are around but they still work. This gives me a good place to spread a possative vib and find new friends. Thanks to all of you for the nice worm welcome.
Pops

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Got a call from my GI Dr, today and he said that since the Pentasa is working there is no need for them to take another look when I have my appendix removed on the 10th. Yaa Hooooo, I don't have to drink that crap. They were going to give me a "TWO,FER" while I was out for the count. He agreed with me that since the Pentasa is working (pretty good) that pretty much proves I have crohns and not IBS-D. Also he said that if I am under control, the big D, I can cut down on Pentasa to 4 2X a day, but I think I will just stay on 4, 4X times a day for a while. I've only been on it for just over a week now.

I've seen and heard on the internet that I will be poo'n little pellets from taking Pentasa, so far I haven't seen anything. I hope my body is not storing them up like a chipmunk for the winter.lol
Pops

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
WELL, it's been a while since I was at this thread and alot has happen. I went into have my apendix removed and woke up in the hospital ICU, they found a mas of crohons and took it out along with 12" of upper and 12" of lower intestine, a resection. Thant was Nov. 10th. I was in the hospital for 5 days and went home, 2 days after I was home some water started coming out of my wound so I went to the er and they took a CT, yep, the resection came apart and I was septic in a very bad way. They operate on me and gave me a ostomy bag and I was in the hospital for 14 days I think. A few days before I got out of the hospital (Kairser) I got a letter from my pention provider and they said that Kaiser was no longer a choice for health care. Not beause of my illness nut it was open enrollment. It was around Dec 2nd and my coverage was going to end with Kaiser on Dec. 31. They gave me United Health Care a PPO with a very large Deductibale. I got out of the hospital and a wound care nurse was coming each day to take care of my wound but time was running out. I called United and told them they were going to have a very sick man on there hands Jan. 1 and they said that they could not do anything until the policy was in effect. I ask them to start setting up things so I didn't go untreated and it was a smooth trasnsition, they would do NOTHING. Well the 30th of DEC. came and mu wound got infeted and pus was everywhere and I was freaked out. The did a CT and said I had a absess but it was not to bad and should resolve it's self. Holidays and what not, I couldn't call Unite until the 3rd of Jan, I did and they gave me a list of Dr. and I started calling, I couldn't get a apt. with anyone untill the 12th of Jan, know matter what I told them. Everything was going bad and I didn't know what to do. I called my old Dr. at Kaiser and he told me to get my ass to the Kaiser ER he was on call and he would admit me into the hospital but don't tel anone he told me that. He said they have to treat me by law. So I did, he put me in the hospital and I stayed for about a week until things cleared up. We tryed to get United to let Kaiser keep treating me, a transtition of care and they would not have anything to do with it. So my Kaiser Dr. keep treating me anyway, gave me some forms and told me to put in for financial aid, I did and Kaiser did not charge me for any treatment at all. As a matter of fact, they gave me 3 months worth of ostomy stuff and all the dressing stuff I needed. By this time they showed me how to treat my wound myself. I got down to 121lbs and could not do much at all. It's now March 10th, there is alot of other shit that I went through but I really don't want to take the time to go over it. In a nut shell, I'm back upto 151lbs, ya buddy, my wound is almost completly heeled. remmbeer they had to go back in again when I went septic and it got infected. I will need no bandage by the end of next week.
I got a new primary Dr. he is cool, will give me anything I want as far a pain pills, (I was taking Norco 4 a day for the last 5 years because of my back) I got a great GI Dr, and a great surgan. I was at the sergons about 2 weeks ago and he said in this summer he will put me back together again. I saw my GI Dr, on Friday and he finaly got the full operation reports from Kaiser and told me that they got ALL of the crohons and I am not taking any meds for the crohons. He wants to do a x-ray with contrast to make sure there is no crohons anywhere eles in my small bowel. I feel great, no problms at all other than I am so out of shape all I want to do is sleep. All my B12 and absorbsition are fine, just I was so sick for so long I didn't do anything AT ALL NOTHING NOTTA. now I work in the garden about 1/2-1 hour a day and wil work my way back up. I know it can come back someday , but for now I'm going to enjoy myself and get ready for the striped bass fishing season in Aug. I have posted other things on this site but I thought that it would be a good idea to update this page. At this time all is well. Thank you God. Hope to talk to some of you all soon.

Pops

PS: I was talk'n some crap to my wife the other day and she said. "Your ass is so jealous of the shit coming out of your mouth", I said "for the record, thats not possable, theres no shit coming out of my ass, thank you."lol

sounds like you've really been through the wringer, Jim.

Thank Heaven your Doc had the smarts to find a way to treat you despite the miserable United insurance.

I had that same insurance & got stuck with a copay of $600 for an upper gi with sbft that gave me a case of the runs that lasted for weeks !

They wouldn't give you the sweat off their............. & the rules & regs. they have are enough to put anybody with a cast iron tummy into a tizzy.

Could you petition your old insurance for continuation of a pre existing condition ?

The important thing here is despite the miserable idiots you got the care you needed & seem to be on the road to recovery.

I hope all continues to go well for you & good luck.

Angrybird

Hello Pops, it is appalling that you had to go through that :( Yay for your previous doc though, what a great guy!

It is good to hear that you are now feeling better and that you are happy with the new doc as well. Fingers crossed the x-ray shows everything is still inactive.

I look forward to hearing that you have got the garden in good shape and that you caught a big bass (picture will be required) so pls keep us updated :)

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Thank you DroopyDrawers and AngeryBird for your reply. I'd like to make some friends on this site. I'm having a hard time navigating around this site, but what the hell, after I retired I didn't use email or my laptop for about 2 years. I wanted to take a step back in time I could say. After years of being on a plane each week, eating out every day and sleeping at a Hotel 200 nights a years I built a cabin in the back of the house near the creek with a wood burning stove and tryed to stay away from all the TECK crap I could. Sure, when I made the cabin I did put cable and all the new teck in it because I knew someday I would need it. ANYWAY, thank you for understanding my pain. Only another crohns victom would understand. What the kcker was is, I went into the OR to have my apendix removed and when I woke up all hell broke loose, found out I had crohns and you know the rest of the story. I'm sure that everything will be fine with the x-ray and if not it will be minor. Man I had that MASS of crohns and didn't even know it. Never had any blood in my poo, thats a good thing. Some of the storys I have read on this site make mine sound like a cake-walk.
Now that things are getting better, I've got a few old friends that want me to manage their bands and travel abroud and what not. I really gotta think about that one. Right now I'm completly out of the music industory (I do play my guitar almost every day) but the question is "do I want to get back into it". sounds simple but it's not. You see they call me Over the Top Pops" and the reason is I can't do anything normal in the music industory. I have to do everthing over the top know matter how much it cost or how much time it takes, the word NO does not exist to me when it comes to music. I don't know if I want to take that on again. I could say I'll just do it part time but I know before much time I would be turner up to "10" and there would be no stoping me. LMAO. I wish I could find middle ground but I never have been able to do so. I hate doing things half ass when I know I could be blowing the house down if I wanted to. I've always been a over achiever when it comes to music, but never at school. lol, I hated school. I still stay in contact with my 9th grade history teacher and he tod me back then "You will never make anything out of yourself" We both LOAO about that now. I always tell him, "in music you make history, not study it"
Well, getting late so I'll let you go. I hope everyone at this site the best health and peace of mind with there situation.

Pops

PS: It's not cheating if the umpire isn't looking. "Mic Jager 1965":thumleft:

Last edited:

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Well, chek'n back in. Last Monday I went to the ER because I had a BM and it had blood in it, I have a ostomy bag so I should'nt be doing this. they took a CT and said that (MY suerggon) said that I have some inflmation in my colon and he will fix that when he does the take down. BUT I still have 2 small open areas at each end of my abdomin that will not heal. very small and the Dr. said they are not fisluas, he said they are resavor's they keep closeing up and then POP open because it's not healed under it yet. 5 months post op, I'm pissed off. The Dr had coterized them 3 times, no good. The one on the bottom looks good and is very very small. looking good, but the one on the top is a tunnel about 6cm deep, was 9cm at one time, anyway, it closed up about a week ago and I though good deal. I keep it covered for 2 days and today when I looked at it it there was a small bump and I knew if I tuched it , it would POP open and it did, but this time it had a small amount of pus come out, not much. I called the Sergon and they wanted to give me a appt in May, I got one for Friday 3 days from now. I'm freeked out, but then again, it was a small amount of pus, no temp, little pain. I don't know. I just want the thing to heal. anyone got any ideas?
Need your help??????
Pops

Hi, Jim.
Sorry to see you're having complications, but you did the right thing in contacting the Doc right away.
I hope they get things sorted out for you quickly.

maria

I love you God.
Hi pops! I just wanted to say hello and hope everything is going smooth for you. I still bleed from my rectum and doctors say as long as my blood levels are ok.. I shouldn't worry.. but it's better to get it checked to be on the safe side..

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
maria and DD,
Thanks for your support. Ya, being new to crohns is frustrating, I'm try'n to learn as much as I can BUT I don't want to suround myself with nothing BUT CROHNS, I'll find a balance soon I'm sure. I see my GI and my surgion next week, so maybe I'll get some piece of mind. The one thing that gets me down is I still have 2 small areas of my wound that won't heal, or heals over and then reopens. They were both tunnels because I had 2 major operations in 8 days, the first resection and then the setic shock one, that one was no fun. Boy I lost alot of LBS on the septic one , went down to 121lbs and I'm 5'10". I'm now back up to 155 or so and still going. Thats one thing about having a ostomy bag, I can eat as much and what ever I want, haven't done that in years. I was 139 before my first operation. They will take the bag away sometime soon, well it might be a while, I'm 61 and everyone says my age has something to do with the slow healing. I don't feel old, hhmmm wonder why. Thanks again for all your support.
Pops (Jim)