• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

16 & Living with Crohn's in Japan

It's weird to think how long I've been dealing with Crohn's way before I was diagnosed.

I remember having all these intense pains starting in 2014 when I was 15. I kept thinking, maybe all the junk food I've been eating has finally caught up with me. I started to get used to the pain & held in my urge to go to the bathroom all the time.

I was dealing with the pain everyday after every meal to the point where it drove me crazy. I started thinking that maybe something was wrong, so I googled my symptoms. I started to think maybe I did have a type of IBD. I told my father, who seemed very concerned, but couldn't do anything due to his busy schedule at work. I told my mother, but she told me to "not self-diagnose myself" and to not believe everything I looked up on google.

I went to two different doctors and they misdiagnosed my condition as constipation or some really bad acid reflex thing. I went to a third one, an OBGYN doctor, and he was a miracle. He managed to spot certain symptoms that the other doctors failed to notice. I was then recommended to my current doctor who diagnosed me with Crohn's disease.

Few CT scans, a barium test, & an MRI later, I was finally diagnosed in January 2015, just weeks after my 16th birthday. I wanted to cry at the news because I was right all along, and I had suffered to the point where I had to be hospitalized for 10 days. I had an ulcer & was internally bleeding since the inflammation was that bad. I also had anemia.

At the hospital, they tried to hook up an IV. But it hurt so much so I had to take these little steroid pills everyday. I couldn't eat anything but soup, liquefied rice, and jello. It was miserable.

One day, I had to take 4 shots of Humira. Another day, I had to do a colonoscopy. I was given a shot to knock me out, so I don't remember anything but being loopy when I woke up.

3 days before my release, I was able to eat semi-regular food. It was the happiest sensation I've ever had in the world, and the food just tasted like heaven to me.

I was super happy to be released in February. The feeling was so indescribable. I had to take lots of medication, and I still get Humira shots every other week.

Thank you for taking the time to read the story of a 16 year old living in Japan!

Hello nngbrn and welcome to the forum! :D

I'm glad you finally got a diagnosis and are receiving treatment. How have you been since you started on Humira?
Thank you so much for recommending a place just for teens!

Humira has honestly been a miracle for me. I get pains only when I eat obviously triggering foods, but other than that, I feel amazing. I have my own pain medicine to go along with Humira whenever my stomach is hurting.