• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

16 year old girl with Crohn's Disease - My story/some questions

Hi everyone, my name is Nikki. I've never written in these types of forums before because I always thought it would be awkward. Anyways, I want to try it out because sometimes I feel very alone with my disease, and that no one knows how I feel (except you all, of course). In June 2009, while I was in the 5th grade, I had my first colonoscopy/endoscopy. My GI doctor told me I had Crohn's disease. Now I am currently in 10th grade, and have been through quite a lot compared to my peers. I was on prednisone for a while, along with 6-MP and flagyl. I had a lot of inflammation in my colon, which landed me in the hospital with bowel obstructions 4 times in 2012. Finally, my team of doctors told me it was in my best interest to get a laparoscopic bowel resection. On July 9th, 2012, I went to Mass General Hospital in Boston and had 10 inches removed. Since then I have NOT had any bowel obstructions, which is great. I do still have some inflammation though, so I'm on flagyl and 6-MP once a day, and zofran for nausea as needed. By the way, if you've gotten this far, leave a little * next to your reply, and thanks so much for caring about my story. Now to present day, I'm a sophomore who takes honors and AP classes and has a 3.7 GPA. When I graduate, I want to be a pediatric nurse practitioner. Sometimes though, crohns makes me nervous that I'll never be able to get a real job. It would mean a lot if some of you guys could share your stories about having crohns in college, and how it has affected your career and how you adapt. Thanks so much!!! Nikki:ghug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nikki. Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for sharing your story. I am the mother of a 17 year old girl who happens to have Crohn's since she was 14. She like you, did not let the disease stop her from getting good grades and AP classes. She will be graduating this year with high honors. You may want to check the teens forum. I know it can be scary sometimes, but I am pretty sure you can achieve everything you want. Just take care of your self. Again, Welcome and keep in touch.

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Nikki!

Honestly, school and work are both more difficult with Crohn's (or any other chronic condition). However, they're definitely not impossible. How well you're doing now should show you that. :) There may be times when things are rough and they seem impossible, and there may even be times when you have to step back and take a break. You'll pick yourself up again though - you've already done it before! Just keep your health in mind and do your best not to over work yourself. :hug:

Also, I've edited your last name out of your post for your own safety, since you are underage.

Catherine

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to the forum. My 18 year old daughter was dx with Crohn's as a sixteen year old. She has just accepted a place at univ.

Hi Nikki,
I'm about ten years older than you are and from my experience working and school has been much harder than for my peers. But I've also learned that I am much stronger than they are. I currently attend college full time, I chose to do this online since I can make my own schedule and I also work 35 hours a week. I've been very successful at work just pushing as much as I can when I'm well and the same with school. I've ended up in the hospital and having to take make up exams but usually your professors are understanding as long as you work hard the rest of the semester. I truly believe that I can do almost anything a person without a chronic illness can, I just usually have to work twice as hard to overcome the challenges it gives me. Good luck to you!*

rygon

Hi and welcome to the froum.
Just to let you know there is a teens forum on this site which has been made for people of your age to discuss things (13-21 IIRC)

I'm sure there will be good times and bad times with your disease, but it is possible for most to hold down jobs. I currently work at a power station doing 12hr shifts as well as studying for my maths degree (currently learning about Quantum Physics :p )

I think you just have to take it one step at a time, and listen to your body, from what you eat and drink, to the amount of physical and mental stress you put on it.

Hi, Nikki,. Welcome to the group. I wasn't diagnosed with Crohn's until I was 34 so I can't help you there. All the same, I wish you the best.

Hello Nikki, you have come to the right place for support my hubby was 20 when he was diagnosed he worked 23 years with this disease(12 hour shifts) Take care.

Hey Nikki! I'm a girl, turning 21 in March, I have only been dealing with symptoms for 2 years and diagnosed for 1 year. All I can say is have hope!! Just because we have Crohn's, we cannot let it get us down. We just might have to do things a little different than some people. I understand how you're feeling. None of my friends have to worry about health in the way I do. They can eat out, and go to movies and get popcorn and not have to worry at all. I have to worry everywhere I go and everything I do. Sometimes I get envious because they all do not realize how good they have it. I wish I could go back in time to when I wasn't sick because it seemed like life was so much easier. I haven't found a treatment that put me in remission yet, but the only thing that keeps me going is knowing that there are other people out there with Crohn's who have been able to find a diet and medication regime that allowed them to achieve remission. That is my hope for someday! But until then, I'm going to keep doing the best I can in everything I can do and just have hope! :)

hi Nikki!
I'm 16 years old as well and I wans diagnosed with chorns a few months ago, I've also had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, which is why your post is the first one ive read, I joined this website like 5 mins ago cause like you I thought it would be awkwards :/ Anyways your not alone :)

oh and here's that star you asked for ->*

********* I blame it on my age. Too old for this technology. LOL
Welcome Kimbochini. Just to let you know there is a teens forum, But you can post wherever you want.

** Hi Nikki. I agree with what everyone else has written to you. I have had crohn's for 17 years now. I cant imagine having Crohn's while in school, but I do work full time and it is very hard at times because others don't really understand. I am very stubborn and even on my worst days force myself to go in and work. Thankfully I have a handful of people that are understanding of my situation and they know how hard I work, so if I am having a bad day they don't seem to mind. The worst thing that you have to get use to is the people that say "but you don't look sick". This drives me crazy, I just smile and walk away, I understand that they don't know what it is we are going through and leave it at that. Good luck with your schooling you sound like a very smart and grownup girl. And welcome. I love this sight. Even if it's just reading others stories.

*** is it too late to respond to this!? Hahah well I'm 15 and recently diagnosed as well. My story is actually similar except for the bowel reduction. If you ever want to talk or anything I'm here

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Nikki. Welcome to the forum. I want to offer some encouragement. I was diagnosed at 12. Ive completed post secondary education and got good employment. Check out the thread on careers. Lot of IBD sufferers doing great things.

Hi Nikki. I am sorry to hear you have Crohn's. I can't imagine being so young and having life slow down because of CD. Best of luck. We are all here for you. :)