• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

17 years..

Hi
All of this started 17 years ago for me..It was test after test, for a very long time. My Crohn's usually presented with explosive..you know what..and then I started having panic attacks from that, because of the loss of continence..
I've been sent to see therapists before from other doctors and hears the question I really enjoy hearing.."Are you depressed?" No, doctor, I just don't enjoy shitting my pants at age 32..in public..is that really so hard to imagine?
I'm going to sum up the last 17 years quickly...Horrible Crohn's that would last for weeks and weeks...3 bowel resections and an obstructed bowel, that almost killed me...that has gone on to terrible arthritis, a motility disorder that makes no sense, both in my stomach and asphogus..Reynaud's syndrome and by age 47 bi-lateral hip replacements and now an SI joint that's nearly gone. Celiacs...but everything I eat makes me sick to my stomach...my mouth peels everyday and I have horrific fibromyalgia...I'm not complaining, but these are the facts...at some point, I will find the answer and get relieve...

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

You definitely have plenty going on! I don't understand why people feel the need to ask that question, I know depression is a debilitating illness and should be taken very seriously but I think it's wrong for people to assume that everyone with a chronic illness is depressed. I agree with you, I'm frustrated at what's going on but not depressed, got asked the question on Monday. I greet a bit angry cos I don't really think I'm being listened too. My sister has a situation were a Dr said she was depressed turned out she had type 1 diabetes!

Wishing you will for the future and that relief comes your way.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you've had a really rough time, I'm sorry to hear it. Are you on medication for the Crohn's? Is it helping? What meds have you tried? I hope you can find something to give you some relief.

Hello..
Thanks for the reply...I have been on prednisone for over a year straight now and on and off of it for 16years...I was on methotrexate as well...that was a disaster. I've taken Asacol and many others..plus many natural supplements.
Thank you