• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

19 With Crohn's

Hello-
So I am finally joining this forum after years of finding useful information from various contributors. I am hoping that this will be a source of support for me in my Crohn's journey, and that I may have something to offer in return.

My Story:
I was diagnosed with moderate/severe Ulcerative Colitis when I was 14 years old. I had a colonoscopy and found fairly severe inflammation on my left lower side. I was prescribed with some anti-inflammatory drug that I cannot remember, and went on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.
I went off and on prednisone for the next year, dealing with ALL of the side effects (which was, needless to say, not great for my self confidence) and still not going into full remission.
As a 16 year old, I was still bleeding a good deal and had taken myself off of all medication because of my dealings with depression and anxiety. This was not crazy smart. I became SEVERELY dehydrated, was having about 12-14 bowel movements a day that were basically just blood. I was 5 ft 7in and 100 lbs and as white as a ghost. I was admitted to the hospital for 4 days while they pumped me full of steroids, fluids, and a blood transfusion.
The past two years I have gone through severe anemia, weight management, and medication negotiation. I have been re-diagnosed with Crohn's, Barrows Esophagus, stomach ulcers, and more inflammation in my right side.
I am now in a bad flair up, still attempting a version of the SCD, taking Pantoprazole, Naltrexone, and Azathioprine, and trying to figure out if I should take Entocort in order to stop this bleeding and continue my college carrier.
I know this is a lot...but if any of you have thoughts or advice, I would love to hear it.
Thank you all for what you are doing on this forum.
May God bless you each with healing and wisdom.
-Olivia

Hello Olivia and :welcome: so sorry you are having such a difficult time sending :ghug: your way. You definitely came to the right place there is lots of support, information and advice on here. I will keep you in prayer. May God bless you as well.

Hello Olivia, i am a college junior and I'm in my second flare in a year. I know you've had things worse than I have. I had the blessing of being off meds remission for 6 years and then flared last year for the first time. Luckily it was at the end of the semester. And then I flared again this February. I had to drop two classes so that my load was more manageable and I am still a little behind.

My advice to you is to continue your college career and if you have to go to a small private college. If you can afford it that is. My reasoning behind it is (well first you just need to document everything and your condition with the school and such) that the teachers at the small colleges see you as a person and are more willing to work with you. They care about you and you are not just some number to them. If I was at a big university I don't know how I would still be able to be in school right now without the help of the dean and the understanding that my professors have. A couple of them have even bought me out of their own pocket protein shakes, I tried one and went into severe pain and nausea and almost threw up. But it's the thought that counts.

I am 22 and I have been bad in the last year. I was finally officially diagnosed yesterday, but I know what you mean with the weight loss and blood and all that. It's rough. Hope everything goes well with school!