• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

19 years old, this is my story

Today I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I feel like I should be upset but I am honestly just happy to have a name for what's wrong with me.

It started with intense stomach and gas pain along with diarrhea. I had to do multiple blood tests, stool samples, visit different doctors, and endure a pretty unpleasant journey. The whole time I was just thinking about how angry I was that this is happening to me. I'm 19. I work out every day except for Friday and Monday. I played sports my whole life and I eat healthier than many of my friends. Yet here I am, my 2nd year of college, and I end up with severe gastrointestinal discomfort.
I'm in community college so I can deal with it. I live at home and I have a bathroom right next to my room so taking a shit 8 times a day is not unbearable. However, I can't imagine doing this in a dorm.
My doctor prescribed me pentasa but I switched it to apriso because my insurance covers it. He says that it should help me stop going to the bathroom 8+ times a day, so hopefully it works.

Sorry for all the irrelevant info. I've never really been sick with something that has forums and support groups before.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Give yourself time to adjust.

Flare ups require some adjusting but when healthy I've always been very active (cycling, ice hockey, softball, etc.). This past September I even got a gym membership again.

Sending you my support.

Today I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I feel like I should be upset but I am honestly just happy to have a name for what's wrong with me.

It started with intense stomach and gas pain along with diarrhea. I had to do multiple blood tests, stool samples, visit different doctors, and endure a pretty unpleasant journey. The whole time I was just thinking about how angry I was that this is happening to me. I'm 19. I work out every day except for Friday and Monday. I played sports my whole life and I eat healthier than many of my friends. Yet here I am, my 2nd year of college, and I end up with severe gastrointestinal discomfort.
I'm in community college so I can deal with it. I live at home and I have a bathroom right next to my room so taking a shit 8 times a day is not unbearable. However, I can't imagine doing this in a dorm.
My doctor prescribed me pentasa but I switched it to apriso because my insurance covers it. He says that it should help me stop going to the bathroom 8+ times a day, so hopefully it works.

Sorry for all the irrelevant info. I've never really been sick with something that has forums and support groups before.
Sorry this happened to you. You have come to a great support group. Welcome.