• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

1st Remi treatment tomorrow!!!

WOOOOOOOT!! Finally having my first remi treatment tomorrow. I was told it could take up to 4 hours!! Does anyone have any advice/suggestions for my first treatment? Can I eat there? Pee there? Can I bring a movie/laptop? Any info regarding this experience is appreciated. I am VERY excited, but of course, nervous too :) Thanks

:thumleft: Sorry I've got no advice, but there is a Remicade club-maybe check that out. I start mine on March 12th so please share details-best wishes and better health to you!

M

mussen

hi Kacey,
I'm not sure what setting remicade is giving in other places but where I am I can pretty much do what I like including eating/sleeping/etc while getting remicade as long as I don't try and leave!!!
At the hospital I go to here in New zealand it usually takes 3 hours (2hr infusion, 1hr wait)plus any prep time if they are busy. They have recently brought in a new protocol for new remicade patients at my hospital though, the infusion is slower but I can't remember the details?
My advice would be, keep hydrated and definatly take something to do!Movies or laptop sounds like good idea!
I hope all goes well!
keep us posted

Nyx

I haven't had Remicade, but I was supposed to get it (I went and blew a hole in my sigmoid colon instead!). But my nurse told me that you can eat, drink, play computer games, read a book, whatever you'd like. Anything to pass the time!

Good luck, hope it goes well for you!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I had remicade, treatments and other crohnies from the states all say you can take your laptops, books....Mine had DVD there was 3 people at time on it. You can wheel to the bathroom, and we had niice reclining chairs. I was a bit nervous so I took a gravol (antinauseant) but some used Benylin? IV's are the long if you dont have good veins, mine took 2.5 hours. Good luck and most of all relax!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Yay Kacey! That's awesome!!
You can do pretty much anything. It is a pain to wheel that IV pole to the bathroom, but you are allowed to. I usually just text people and listen to my ipod. I did get scolded for having my arm bent too much once, so I tend to text one handed now.
Are you taking premeds? If it's Benadryl, it can make you very sleepy. I take non-drowsy Claritin now, but still like to try and take a little snooze if I can.
My hospital has warm blankies, so that's nice. You might want a sweater, the infusion rooms are usually cold.
Good luck tomorrow! Post on the 'Remicade Club' thread how you did, then you can update there every time