• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

2 diseases

So my name is Abby and im 19. I've had crohns for almost 7 years now and I've been in a pretty bad flare for awhile now. I just switched medicines from remicade to Entyvio and I'm on azathioprine also. I went to an obgyn because I found lumps on my armpits and one was causing me pain down my arm. Well she said it was a skin disease called hidradenitis suppurativa. It causes abscesses in areas where skin rubs together and it's lifelong and incurable, but treatable, like my crohns. I wanted to get a second opinion so I went to a dermatologist, she said it was HS also. I'm just kind of done with being in pain all the time now. I'm taking up to 9 pills every night because of antibiotics and pain meds and azathioprine. I'm getting tired of taking pills too. I'm going to college soon and I don't want all of this to hinder my experience but I'm scared it will, it already hinders me at home. It's just all taking it's toll on me, and I could use some support and prayer/ good thoughts.

So my name is Abby and im 19. I've had crohns for almost 7 years now and I've been in a pretty bad flare for awhile now. I just switched medicines from remicade to Entyvio and I'm on azathioprine also. I went to an obgyn because I found lumps on my armpits and one was causing me pain down my arm. Well she said it was a skin disease called hidradenitis suppurativa. It causes abscesses in areas where skin rubs together and it's lifelong and incurable, but treatable, like my crohns. I wanted to get a second opinion so I went to a dermatologist, she said it was HS also. I'm just kind of done with being in pain all the time now. I'm taking up to 9 pills every night because of antibiotics and pain meds and azathioprine. I'm getting tired of taking pills too. I'm going to college soon and I don't want all of this to hinder my experience but I'm scared it will, it already hinders me at home. It's just all taking it's toll on me, and I could use some support and prayer/ good thoughts.
I started getting severe UC symptoms while I was in my Junior year at college and since it wasn't diagnosed until a year and a half later, I too went through difficult times while at college. You can imagine the embarrassing toilet situations within the dorms. The good part of your situation is that everything is diagnosed already, so you know how to manage it! I admit taking pills becomes a serious burden, but after a while you just get used to it. Just make sure you thoroughly understand how to manage your conditions in cases of flares and you should be absolutely fine! Also make a few good friends whom you can trust and confide in. This really helped me when times were tough. Although expressing your medical issues may be embarrassing, it's almost always a good thing to let a few close friends know about it, so that they can provide the support you need.

In saying all that, don't worry about it too much! It'll be fine, and you'll have a great college experience :)

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I was diagnosed at 18 just after moving into the dorms. Not the easiest thing learning how to insert enemas as well as taking all these new drugs/vitamins along with sharing a room for the first time. But, I can say that I survived! If it tells you anything, I've even been married for over 17 years too.

It might not be easy, especially at first. But, we'll be here with you to talk with. Don't be afraid to even send one of us a personal message if need be. Even if we don't happen to be on at the time, we will get back to you! Sending lots of hugs! :)

I wasn't diagnosed until I was 20 and I over did it when I was diagnosed. I was double majoring in math and biochemistry. I was premed and planning on taking the MCAT. But the stress got to me so within months of being diagnosed I had a j pouch made and my colon removed. But...it turns out I have Crohn's and not UC. So, that j pouch was painful. I'm 38 now. 12 surgeries later. Here's the thing I want you to remember: do something you enjoy and that doesn't stress you out. I did try to go to med school. I was watching open heart surgery in my local hospital and the anesthesiologist, who I knew, told me that as bad as my disease was I should probably not do med school. Praise God I didn't listen. I'm laying here in bed in pain. I'm mad because the surgeon gave me Prednisone. We tried a low dose and he bumped it up higher. I'm only a few credits short of my master's degree. Luckily, I'm on a medical absences. But we keep going. I don't know why I wasn't diagnosed earlier. I have medical records that say I had blood in my diaper before I was ONE! I honestly do not know life without this disease. People may never understand the battles we face. And sometimes it just sucks but from a therapist position, you're much stronger than you think. And you're much stronger than the person that hasn't battled this. God has a plan for you. Trust His plan.