• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

2 kids with Crohn's (oy vey...)

Hi everyone. Un-glad to be here (you know what I mean....)

dd1 was dx'ed at age 8.5 after 3 months of running from doctor to doctor and hearing everything from "it's a virus" to "it's likely lymphoma" (SED rate was 95 at diagnosis). She was treated with prednisone, imuran, flagyl and the SC diet. Was able to wean off all meds and just be on the SC diet. She was med-free for 2 years and on SCD in total for five years. Was off SCD for almost 2 years and health went ever-so-slowly downhill until this past spring, when labwork showed a serious flare (she is now almost 16 and VERY close-mouthed about sx). We are still working to get it under control, not helped by the fact that she is not particularly compliant in taking her meds (supposed to be budensoide, flagyl, colazol, iron/Vit C). She started back on SCD almost a month ago and that has been hard, too, as she is "out of practice" with it and is longing to be like her friends and go for pizza/ice cream.....

dd2 is 10 years old and dx'ed 3 years ago. Pretty easy-to-control case until last fall, when she has hospitalized for c diff and, while taking a ct scan to see if she was flaring as well (she was), it was noticed that she had pulmonary nodules. Many of them.....This has turned out to be more difficult to deal with than the GI sx. She has many necrobiotic nodules and they were resistant to 6 mos of prednisone (they did shrink but came back within weeks of stopping the prednisone). She has had 6 CT scans in the past year, so I worry, of course, about the long-term effects of all that radiation as well.

Just found out that last weekend's CT scan shows that, while some of the old nodules are smaller, there are many new ones, "some small and some quite large". She will be starting Remicade in the very near future, although that is only the best guess for how to help her, as there are only a handful of cases in the medical literature of people whose nodules were resistant to prednisone, and she is the youngest.

Glad to have found this forum. Thanks for listening :)

Welcome to the forum Sudsy

I'm sorry to hear that you've got two kids diagnosed with crohn's.:hug:It's hard enough with one.

There are a couple of parents here that have two children with crohn's....Dusty being one of them hopefully she'll be along soon.

I had a situation recently that others with two kids w. IBD may be able to relate to:

Last week my dh and dd were both upset about the amount of pills and dietary issues 15 y/o has to deal with. I threw my hands up and said that dh could now be the intermediary with the GI doc for 15 y/o and I would continue to be the intermediary for the 10 y/o (her case is far more complex than her older sister's). It was funny/odd to leave a message at the GI office and say, "re. child X, please call my husband and re child Y, please call me".

Gotta do what you gotta do!

It seems efficient to divide it up that way, to me.

Our oldest was diagnosed at 24. She was given a round of steroids (got moon face) and went on the SCD and has been symptom/drug free for 8 years. She's not on the diet any longer, but she tries to go easy on starches.

Our youngest was diagnosed in March, at 16, but had likely been sick 2 or 3 years, already. His symptoms were mild for a long time. He was hospitalized for 6 days, had 3 days of steroids (no moon face) did EEN for 6 weeks, achieved remission, then started the SCD. He's gone from 79lbs to 111lbs and feels good most of the time.

Hi Amy,

Thanks for replying!

That is amazing and heartening to hear that your dd has been med-free and well for 8 years! Totally inspiring.

For your son, wow, that must be wonderful to be such a healthier weight. My youngest filled out the CCFA kids survey the other day and she asked me to explain the question that asked about a kid's feelings about their weight. I said that some people, who were on prednisone and had quickly gained a lot of weight (which had happened to her) might feel upset that their weight was higher than they'd like. On the other hand, I said, what if there is a 16 y/o boy who is very underweight from Crohn's? What must that be like for him when the other boys are working out and getting muscles?

Your son sounds like my example. I only have girls, so, around here, they only consider the emotional trauma of gaining weight (esp with moon face and the big tummy, although I doubt that's easy for either gender).....

How did your son deal with the EEN? I was talking with my teen about it and she couldn't fathom not eating anything. I've looked at the forum messages here that deal with it and, as hard as SCD is, EEN sounds harder. My hat is off to you and your son for being able to make that work for 6 weeks.

It honestly didn't seem that hard for him. He and I saw it as the least awful choice. He distracted himself with his gadgets/music/movies and actually grew to LIKE the Peptamen. He would say that he was hungry and go drink 2 of them...

He was SO happy when the 6 weeks was over, though!

An update:

16 y/o has stopped the SC diet. I give her credit for being on for five years when she was younger. Now she says it is "just too hard". She is weaning off Entocort, so we'll see how things go in 2 weeks when she is done weaning and we can start to see if she had some more permanent healing or if it was just "prednisone smoke and mirrors".

11 y/o dd (as of today!) has had three Remicade infusions and goes next week to see the pulmonologist. He said that he felt that three infusions would be the magic number to see whether Remi was working for her pulmonary nodules. There may also be CT scan #7 if he needs to get a better understanding than just pulmonary function tests done in his office can provide....

Last year on this day (yes, her birthday) she was in the hospital having a biopsy done of one of those pulmonary nodules, which involved a three-day hospital stay and a chest tube (which, if you've never had the "pleasure", take my advice and try to stay away from them). So, on this Thanksgiving day, I am profoundly thankful that things are going better and fervently pray that we never go through the he## of last fall again.....

my little penguin

Staff member
Hugs to you and your DDs
Is there a reason they can't do an MRE ( MRI with contrast and barium drink )
to get the imaging without the radiation?

MLP: the answer is "maybe" :). Pulmonay doc today said that he had spoken with adult Radiologist about what other possiblities there might be for her rather than just CT and was told there may be a way to use MRI for what we need (she's had one before. And then needed a CT....).

We'll see! Meanwhile, small improvement in her pulmonary function tests, so that is good news. Hopefully she will make it the three months until her next pulm appt!