• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

2 weeks paleo

nogutsnoglory

I am getting to my two week Paleolithic diet anniversary. I gotta say giving up coffee was the hardest followed by dairy and then grains. It's amazing how addicted we become to these comfort foods. The withdrawal has been challenging, I even had a 5 day migraine after giving up coffee.

I have lost 10 lbs already on this diet. I am one of the few crohnies who is not underweight so I don't mind losing a few pounds. I am not sure about the impact on my disease yet because I had too much fiber and my flare got worse but now I'm focusing more on protein and juicing and seem to be getting better. I am still tired and running with diarrhea but time will tell.

It would be interesting to know what you are eating.
Coffee was the hardest for me too, (i've given it up four times since i started paleo :) )

nogutsnoglory

Mostly wild caught fish, pasture raised chicken and their eggs. Juices and some purées. Also homemade nutmilks and soft low fiber paleo safe treat creations I have made.

What about you?

I get a few kilos of chicken thigh and a whole lamb cut up every two weeks for the freezer,
so everything is based on that.

number one dinner at the moment - it's winter here
-roast lamb (grass fed) or chicken ( free range),
-roast veggies (carrot ,sweet potato, pumpkin, turnips, onion)
-throw the greens (spinach,kale, chard) in with the veg at the last minute
real easy :)

Gravy can be made by adding water and almond flour to the meat pan, and deglazing the veg pan into the meat pan

number two meal
Lamb soup, lots of onion and celery, make a huge pot (the neck and the shanks), lasts for days.

Breakfast tends to be either meatza (lamb mince with liver, home-made tomato sauce and cheese - maybe a few veg on it too) or chicken schnitzel (beat a thigh flat, coat in arrowroot flour, garam masala, and salt, and bake in coconut oil),
Sometimes an omelette or a stir-fry
Or leftovers

Lunch - lamb soup or roast chicken and salad

A couple of bananas a day

Maybe two paleo hot chocolates a day - cocoa, coconut milk, a bit of honey

We are a long way from the sea - fish choices are limited and expensive, but when i get out to the fish shops we get sardines and barbecue them. Nitrate free bacon is too expensive.

I was eating alot of almond based treats but i've cut right back after a few pains, and will introduce them again slowly

No vegetable oils, no grains, no legumes, no processed foods, some dairy - hard cheese only

nogutsnoglory

Do the puréed almond treats bother you like the nut butters or just the pieces? That sounds like a delicious meal plan especially the gravy.

I was having a bit of bother lately so i cut out coffee, nuts, eggs and dairy,
Everything settled down so i have reintroduced every but coffee and am fine now.

So, while i'm not positive, almond meal seems fine, coarse nuts - ok in moderation if i'm not having coffee.

nogutsnoglory

Twiggy I found a couple of things that while not ideal are okay at a health food store. Dried fruit without added sugar, raw vegan chocolate, snacks with paleo ingredients you find at the store like ice pops, raw ice creams, fruit snacks.

There are some good paleo cookbooks on how to make "bread" cookies, cakes etc.

So, nogutsnoglory, how does it so far? and with all the other things you've been doing (re your other threads), what do you think is working and what isn't?

nogutsnoglory

It's been 3 weeks now and I am still very fatigued but I'm in less pain. Bowel movements haven't changed yet. I think and hope its having an impact on the inflammation. God willing.

I think the turmeric is very helpful on my food as well as chicken soup. Aloe also helps quell the inflammation. Not sure If the probiotic is helping. I am starting blueberry extract and possibly some wild oregano oil but not sure if I'll do that daily yet. Time will tell and it's hard to know what helps/hurts or is neutral since there are many variables.

Twiggy I found a couple of things that while not ideal are okay at a health food store. Dried fruit without added sugar, raw vegan chocolate, snacks with paleo ingredients you find at the store like ice pops, raw ice creams, fruit snacks.

There are some good paleo cookbooks on how to make "bread" cookies, cakes etc.
I have to say that we have a different idea of what paleo is, and maybe (just maybe :) ) you will improve faster if you go back in time, not paleo times, just 100 years, nothing out of foil or plastic, less sugar (dried fruit/chocolate/ice pops/etc)
Think about what paleo food is for a while, - meat and veg, some fruit, water.
Nothing out of a factory.

30 days hardcore will probably tell you if it's gonna work or not,
6 months with icypoles and treats may not tell you anything
You can add the shit back in later :)

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

Well for ices I just use pure fruit juice (no sugar added) and freeze that. I haven't really eaten raw ice cream but all the ingredients are simple. I agree that simple combinations with less human involvement is better but so far all my ingredients are pure paleo. What's the difference if I mash a bunch of fruits or someone else does and puts in a jar (so long as they don't add preservatives and fillers or unnatural ingredients)

nogutsnoglory

I'm keeping the faith in so far as I'm adhering to the dietary tenets. I'm not sure how strong my faith is because in inflamed again. I put oil of oregano in my system hopefully that's all my body is just reacting to.

I had a particularly difficult time with the paleo and scd diets as they always produced more diarrhea and more cramping. However, I got my food allergy and sensitivity tests done which really helped me figure out what I can eat. After I eliminated all meat based Broths and heavy proteins ( beef, chicken, eggs) and stuck to a fish and steamed veggie diet my symptoms subsided within a week. Currently, I am and have been off my meds (all of which did absolutely nothing but drain my wallet and destroyed my liver) for 5 yrs now. Not one flare, no cramping, no diarrhea, no fatigue, weight gain, etc. I have basically forgot what crohns is. However, it is imparative to stick with the diet, no grains not even gluten free, consume relatively little heavy protein, no sugar, coffee, etc. Ohhh yeah I always say supplementing hcl was my missing link. Once I began taking hcl supplements my heartburn disappeared, bloating reduced significantly, energy returned and I was actually digesting food! Good luck!

nogutsnoglory

How is your progress going on the Paleo diet? Would love to hear an update!
It's been over a month. I am more fit and feel more energetic, feel less pain and am not running to the bathroom. I still have pain but it hopefully will continue to diminish. I'm hopeful for a change.

That is wonderful!!! Keep up the great work! From what I hear, it can take awhile (several months to over a year) to get the full benefit from diet changes. It took a long time for us to get sick, so it makes sense the healing would take just as long. I'm happy for you :)

nogutsnoglory

That is wonderful!!! Keep up the great work! From what I hear, it can take awhile (several months to over a year) to get the full benefit from diet changes. It took a long time for us to get sick, so it makes sense the healing would take just as long. I'm happy for you :)
Thanks Katy, it's true the body deteriorates and the cells need time to go back to normal. I am not too down when I'm in pain or fatigued because I expect it will take time.

Hi there -
Reading this thread a little late, but are you still on the Paleo diet? How are your symptoms/did things improve as time went on? I am on day 15 and am starting to see some small improvements in my symptoms, but nothing too noticeable yet...

nogutsnoglory

Kdz I have stopped the diet since I lost so much weight and got more ill. My stool was solid for a while and pain did go down but than the diarrhea and pain came back with a vengeance. I wish you success with the diet.

Good to know, thanks for the update! I'm hoping this will provide some relief vs. starting Remicade (which my doctor is pressing). Time will tell... Good luck to you as well!