• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

2 years in and fed up.....advice & experience on aza and pentasa!!! :-(

Hi,

I am Hannah, I am new to the forum but have been reading and taking advice from different posts for a long time. I have now decided to stop just reading and get involved (so fed up of moaning to family!!!).

I have been diagnosed since 2011, I had a stint in hospital and once my disease had stabilised on steroids I was moved onto just pentasa. Shortly after I had another major flare and was put on to imuran (75mg) as well as the pentasa.

Since the beginning of taking imuran I have experienced extreme tiredness, muscle and joint aches. 6 months into the imuran I visited my dr and he increased my dose to 125mg. In the last month I have had enough of being tired and weak so complained to the dr AGAIN, he tested my 6-tgn and 6-mmpn for the first time since taking the medication. My 6-tgn was 753 (normal range 235-450) and my 6-mmpn was 9732 (normal range around 5700). I was asked to stop the medication for a few days and then start again at a dose of 75mg - 2 weeks later I am still left with extreme tiredness, weakness and aches and pains. I have been told to stop imuran today and have another blood test in a week before seeing dr a few days later! I am just so fed up of feeling this way, I'm 27 and would like to start a family in the next few years but at the moment can barely keep myself awake!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? One minute I am being told my symptoms do not relate to imuran then i read online they can be a side effect. I am so confused and concerned.

Sorry for the long winded post - any help would be much appreciated :)

My son is in remission, yet he gets little aches a lot and often has extreme fatigue. He only takes Pentasa, no other drugs.

I think that he thinks my son is doing fantastic, relative to his other patients and sees his complaints as minor and to be expected, basically.

They don't understand this disease.