• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

20 years in...

Shalom brothers and sisters. I've had a "moderate to severe" case of crohns / colitis since like 96. After years of prodding from the wife, I finally decided to become a member of a support group. Why I registered today and not b4? Maybe for the first time since being diagnosed I've lost my will to fight. I'm not going to bore you w/ my history ( they'll be time for that) I guess I'd rather offer insight for now, and make every post as it may be my last, although my higher power likes to duck w me to no end, and w/ this in mind, the universe will keep me on this mortal coil w tp in one hand, and some sort of illicit analgesic pon the other for another 40 50 fuck8n years...for what it's worth, the worst part of this existence is the loneliness. Develop a sense of humor if you ain't got one, cuz your gonna duckin need it. I got plenty of dietary wisdom, pain relief advice, and whatever any one wants to ask me about, but If you have a good support network, or even just one person, a fuck8n sensative, properly domesticated companion animal even, you got all you need, and should thank the spirits every day for such a creature, cuz as many of you have had to learn the hard way, these / this type of individual/s are / is the proverbial red herring, diamond in the rough, so on and such. I'll expand on all the above as we go, if nothing else, im here because I'm tired of talking to myself, which is real healthy / cathartic so long as you understand that your TALKING TO YOURSELF, aND there ain't no other motherfuc8er present. Being your own best friend is maybe the best relationship one can have in order to deal with crohns or any difficulty in this life. Truth be told, I'd love for anyone who feels alone, or suicidal, broken, whatev. to contact me and ask / tell me whatev. You wouldn't know it to look at me now, but I had a real interesting life at one point, and have all sorts of half witted insight about swollen colons, and lots of other shit that I could write a best seller about, and would other than the fact that my life story would land me in a work camp. Oh yeah, my other piece of advice is stay off facebook, and be leary of Newport smokers under like 5/5...stay thirsty mI amigos...

Last edited:
I am sorry for all you are going through. You will certainly find plenty of support here. Feel free to friend me and/or pm me.

This is a horrible lonely disease, it forces many of us to turn down so many social opportunities for fear of soiling ourselves in public for example, and it's hard to even contemplate close or intimate relationships for many of us who don't have a spouse/partner. I'm sorry you feel low, but it's not surprising when you've suffered for so long. I've only had four years of this awful disease and it often makes me wish I were dead. On the positive side, though, this forum is a lifeline, just knowing that other people are going through the same thing and we're not alone. Sometimes, too, I try to appreciate the smaller things in life that are on my doorstep, my garden for example, things that aren't affected by Crohns, and as you say, it's good to have a pet - they don't care if you mess yourself!

This is a horrible lonely disease, it forces many of us to turn down so many social opportunities for fear of soiling ourselves in public for example, and it's hard to even contemplate close or intimate relationships for many of us who don't have a spouse/partner. I'm sorry you feel low, but it's not surprising when you've suffered for so long. I've only had four years of this awful disease and it often makes me wish I were dead. On the positive side, though, this forum is a lifeline, just knowing that other people are going through the same thing and we're not alone. Sometimes, too, I try to appreciate the smaller things in life that are on my doorstep, my garden for example, things that aren't affected by Crohns, and as you say, it's good to have a pet - they don't care if you mess yourself!
My dog usually knows when I am not feeling well and clings to me. [emoji4]

My dog gets really clingy / protective when I'm down too. In terms of going #2 in the wrong place wrong time, we kind of both look other way during the tough times. She gets out a couple steps day to day for a quick like number one, but beyond that, we just descretly / quietly convert the area of the fam. room next to the main coffee table, you know like dead center of the den, like right in the line of sight from the couch to the 53-60 inch. Tv, into a f*ck8n dog poop only toilet carpet. Which leads me to proverb #3..crap only stincks up carpet when it's fresh...I'm not saying don't clean it, I'm just saying don't let em' pee.... urine and carpet= urout arpet....for real....( if you rent that is)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would advice to be careful with the comedy. This tends to be a pretty humorous bunch. As I've learned pull my finger and see what happens jokes are not well tolerated here. :p:

I typically tell others that my sense of humor is a birth defect. It's in the inherited genes I'm afraid. At least the gene theory seems to be the in vogue theory to explain unknown medical issues.

it would be nice if us long term survivors of IBD conditions were awarded medals. We certainly have battle scars dealing with our painful conditions and dealing with people. It is a disease with great misunderstandings and misinterpretations which adds to the difficulty. At least that has been my experience. Good luck to you in the future. :cheerss:

Hello, I am new here and have also been a lifer- since I was 14 years old and remember that loneliness growing up- my whole world changing etc...loss of friends and activities but today 25 years later- I have more than they do I am sure, I appreciate the little things that most without a chronic condition can understand and only feel sorry for myself on occasion now and normally bounce back with rest. I have found that a lot of the depression is the disease and vitamins or malnutrition from the Mal-absorption... and it comes and goes...
I would recommend a pet dog- if you are able to care for it, if not volunteer at a shelter, this way you can be with the animals as your health tolerates. I sense your angry about your health and loneliness and try to cover it with humor but you are truly hurting. Being alone is the hardest of all emotions but as others have stated- you do not need be, there are many wonderful people out there with this disease who understand what you are going through... you have taken the best step by joining us.
I wish you the best as you try to cope with life's set backs in the medical world, I am firm believer in what has not killed me has made me stronger.