• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

20+ years of Crohn's

After 9 consecutive months of diarrhea, I got a referral from my GP for a GI. After ultrasound, upper and lower GI X-rays I was told I have Crohn's in the terminal ileum. I was put on asacol, when I was flaring so badly, I could see pieces of my asacol tablets in the toilet. Fast forward to 10 years ago, I flared after having my first daughter, was put on pentasa (didn't work), Entocort (didn't work) so I was put on prednisone and imuran. This put me into remission for 3 years till after the birth of my second daughter. Again, prednisone and imuran, again remission until 3 months ago (7years) when I started experiencing excruciating pain on my left side, my Crohn's now is flaring in my duodenum as well. This resulted in an er visit where I was given cipro and flagel and morphine for the pain. So I'm back on prednisone and Imuran waiting for the imuran to get working. After reading so many stories on this forum, I realize that while I have Crohn's, I've been lucky that overall I've been well. Now I worry about the future of me and this disease. I am so thankful for the creators of this forum, and the Internet, my previous 2 GIs gave me medical journals to read for information on my illness. I have learned more on this forum in the past 2 weeks then I had in the 21 years I've been sick.

Thank-you:poo:

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community :) I'm glad to hear you've been learning a lot from the forum.

Do I understand correctly that you'd go on Imuran and prednisone until you reached remission and then stop taking the Imuran for awhile? Or do you stay on the Imuran?

How did they determine that your Crohn's is in the duodenum as well? Did they perform a CT scan or MRE? Or perform an endoscopy?

All my best to you.

Hello Crohn's Gal, wanted to say thank you for the post. It helped me and I appreciate it.
I hope today finds you doing better.

Thanks David!

During my er visit I had a CT scan, from these results my GI determined the Crohn's in my duodenum. I had my colonoscopy 2 weeks prior to this attack, and was waiting for my follow up with my GI. Previously prednisone and Imuran together put my back into remission when I had it only in the terminal ileum and I stayed in that remission for 6 years. He decided to go this course again since imuran works faster then remicade. Once I was pronounced in remission last time, all drugs were stopped, I tapered off the prednisone first, then stopped taking the Imuran. I'm not confident that this is likely to reoccur with the development of my duodenal Crohn's.

Thanks If*,
I happy my story helped you, I know the stories from everyone I have read have helped me educate myself immeasurably!