• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

20 Years Old, UC sufferer!

Hi guys, I guess this is my introduction to the forum! I'm currently 20 years old, an A-level student doing my final year before hopefully going to university to study primary education. Unfortunately at the moment I've been off since Monday with an inconvenient bout of UC.

I have had Ulcerative Colitis since Spring 2008, and to be perfectly honest...I don't remember much about it. All I do remember was that I was suffering Glandular Fever and during this period I was diagnosed with Crohn's. A few years later I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis instead, which apparently is more "treatable".

So far I've been on a cocktail of drugs, none have had much of an effect on me. Initially I was on Prednisolone which initially dealt with my problem, however since then have lost their effectiveness. After this point I had a few others, their names escape me, were all ineffective. Before Christmas I was on 20mg dose of Methotrexate which didn't work and gave me really bad stomach pains (Thanks Doc!). Now I'm on infliximab which seemed to be working until my doctor decided to give a maintenance dose of Methotrexate which seems to have counteracted the infliximab.

...Wow that came out really bleak. On the brightside with the time off I have time to complete some essays which were late in!

So to summarize: I'm Nial, Sufferer of UC and full time student!

Hi Nial. Not bleak at all; you just stated the facts. I myself have Crohns. You will find loads of information here. So many people have such good information to share and are willing to help in any way they can. Don't be afraid of asking anything (no question is "stupid") and don't be afraid of grossing anyone out.

Good luck with your essays!

Angrybird

Hello Nial :bigwave: Not sure I understand the thought process of giving you a med you have had an issue with whilst on another that was doing some good....what are they doing now about this? I am pleased you have decided to join us and I hope you come to find the forum as helpful and wonderful as I have :)

David

Co-Founder
Hi Nial and welcome, I'm really glad you joined :) Would you be interested in sharing how they went from diagnosing you with Crohn's to UC? It's usually the other way around.

Again, welcome! It's great having you here.