• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

21 year old struggling...

Hey, I'm new to this forum and I can completely relate to you all. I've always had stomach issues, but it all started getting out of control this summer after a night of drinking. The next morning I woke up going to the washroom urgently a few times. Weeks passed and I knew something was wrong, foods I had always ate weren't passing and things since then haven't been the same. My social life has been affected, working on the road is extremely hard and I struggle with taking the plane. The doctor diagnosed me with IBS but I was off gluten for a week and my Urine and Stool samples came negative when I took them... It's now been a few days since cutting Gluten again and Lactose and I already feel a bit better, let's hope I can keep it controlled. Thank you for any comments!

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Dave
Welcome to the forum.
In your shoes I would be inclined to seek the opinion of a gastroenterologist if you haven't already.
There are tests available to determine Gluten and Lactose sensitivities.
and it may be a better diagnostic route to have a colonoscopy with appropriate biopsies.
Additionally some bloodwork could be helpful such as CBC, ESR, CRP, Vit B12, iron levels etc.
These are things to ask your doctor about.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Hi Dave! Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry things are rough right now--I'm right there with you on the travel front. I'm basically unable to travel at all right now but am experimenting with some medications with my doctor's help to get the trips to the bathroom down to a manageable number. Have you been diagnosed or tested for Crohn's or ulcerative colitis? Have you had a colonoscopy? It might help to check everything out so you can get on a medication or treatment plan that works for you.

Welcome to the forum and i hope you feel better soon. Its horrible when you are so unwell it affects you that much.

Hope you gets it under control and start to lead a "normal" life again soon x