• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

23andMe

Has anyone taken those tests (I think from 23andme) where they test your stool and give you a report of the bacteria found and how it compares and contrasts to one who has a healthy GI track? If so, how was your experience with the test?

my little penguin

Staff member
23&me does genetic testing of SNP 's from your spit (saliva).
They did have an Ibd study of genes with Pzifer but I believe they got 10000 participants
Never heard of a stool test with them

Scipio

I'm one of the 10,000 IBD patients in the 23andMe study. It was indeed saliva-based and not stool based. So far I have seen any results of the study. They asked a lot of questions and have come back with follow-up questions too.

Scipio

A lot the results you get in the 23andMe report are very interesting but not really "actionable." The ancestry piece confirmed that I am almost completely of British and generic northern European ancestry, which agrees with what I knew of family history.

The medical piece is currently rather limited to a handful of relatively rare conditions, none of which I have. I hope the see the IBD results published some day.

They also identify a bunch of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cousins who are also in their database and make it possible for you to contact these relatives if you so choose. One of my nephews had earlier bought their product (not part of the IBD study), and their DNA data correctly identified him as being a nephew.

The 23&me data they provide is kinda fluff. But you can take your raw SNP data from 23&me and upload it to other sites out there and run searches for SNPs based on certain diseases. So you could search your SNP database for Crohn's and see your pro-Crohn's and anti-Crohn's genes. It is a bit depressing to see you might have an 3x increase chance of Parkinson's or some other horrible disease. You have to remind yourself that just because you have the SNP doesn't mean that gene is necessarily expressed. Mine showed I have a 3x increase chance of being obese. Well that is not the case!

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds did the study
We took the raw data to another site
It was pretty accurate on what ds was already dx with
Chose to ignore everything else
Funny to look back as a tool but not proven too ouch as a forward looking tool yet .