• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

25 Years of Crohn's

Like everyone here, my story is a long one. I was diagnosed in 1990 at age 23 after my colon ruptured, nearly killing me. Nine months and three surgeries later, and I was sent back out into the world, but obviously life with Crohn's is tricky. I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones, despite the fact I still have persistent symptoms (stomach discomfort, frequent bowel movements, occasional fever, etc.).

I make my living as a writer, and for years people had told me I should write a book about my Crohn's experience. It was really cathartic. I see many of you writing about your experiences in these forums -- glad there are support systems like this now. I had nothing of the kind when I was diagnosed, so I felt very, very alone. Cheers to everyone who keeps fighting the good fight.

Hi guys. I actually stopped taking any sort of meds several years ago. I manage my diet and just roll with the punches. Because I had so much of my intestines surgically removed due to fistulas/infection/disease (it was a long time ago), I don't have as much diseased colon left as most. In many ways, that works in my favor.