• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

25 Years With Crohn's And Other Autoimmune Diseases

This is my first posting on any website with regard to my medical conditions so I'll try not to ramble.
25 years ago I suddenly got ill with severe sickness/diarrhoea. Initially I thought I had a bug and just stayed at home but rather than get better I got worse to the extent of losing 3 stone in weight, getting hypothermia and being unable to eat or drink. I was admitted to hospital and put on fluids and steroids and after 2 weeks when I first got out of bed my legs wouldn't move. After more tests & scans it was found that I had polyarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. These were a direct result of the Crohn's disease. After being perfectly healthy 4 weeks earlier this came as a shock to the system.
On the day I left hospital I had a seizure and ended up back in hospital to find that I now had epilepsy due to a clash of medications.
Over the years I've often said that if I were a horse they would shoot me which I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought or said something similar.
I think the problems I contracted due to Crohn's are not the norm for most as I've never come across anybody with similar conditions.
Sorry I think I did ramble a bit!

Welcome to the forum:) I am actually rather new to the forum as well, but certainly not new to Crohn's as yourself. I am coming up on 31 years since diagnosis and no doubt had Crohn's at least a couple of years before that.

By the way, I can relate to your comment about "if I was a horse." I think you will find many on the board that have had very similar experiences to you. Hopefully, it will provide some level of comfort to you.

I suggest if you are comfortable with it, to take the time to nearly write a book on what you have been dealing with all these years and post it here. I left a very long post about my symptoms, diagnosis, dealing with docs, dealing families and feelings thinking not a single person would take the time to read it. To my surprise, I got tons of responses from obviously caring concerned people. I think you will have the same experience. :)

This is my first posting on any website with regard to my medical conditions so I'll try not to ramble.
25 years ago I suddenly got ill with severe sickness/diarrhoea. Initially I thought I had a bug and just stayed at home but rather than get better I got worse to the extent of losing 3 stone in weight, getting hypothermia and being unable to eat or drink. I was admitted to hospital and put on fluids and steroids and after 2 weeks when I first got out of bed my legs wouldn't move. After more tests & scans it was found that I had polyarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. These were a direct result of the Crohn's disease. After being perfectly healthy 4 weeks earlier this came as a shock to the system.
On the day I left hospital I had a seizure and ended up back in hospital to find that I now had epilepsy due to a clash of medications.
Over the years I've often said that if I were a horse they would shoot me which I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought or said something similar.
I think the problems I contracted due to Crohn's are not the norm for most as I've never come across anybody with similar conditions.
Sorry I think I did ramble a bit!
I just looked on the net to see what a stone means in terms of weight. A number of us that might respond to you are silly Americans unfamiliar with the term, me included. I was shocked to find out that a stone is 14 pounds. That means you dropped 42 pounds awful fast. I am guessing you did not weight 300 lbs to begin with ;) so that is an amazing amount of weight to drop so suddenly.(I am really sorry)

I actually am on the chubby side, especially for Crohn's patients. In the past, I have had Drs. tell they did not think I could have Crohn's because of my weight. I wish they were right. I am trying to drop some pounds. In the U.S., we always say we have dropped a pound or two. I think the next time someone asks me how I am doing with my weight, I will tell them I have dropped a stone or two. It should be fun to see their response.:ylol2:

Hi,
Thanks for your response. I forgot this is international and I'm old school as far as measurements & weights. When this struck I weighed probably 10 stone (approx 140 lbs) prior to losing 3 stone in a few weeks when the Crohn's first showed up. I was never lightweight so I am surprised by your Drs. reaction. I have a half sister with Crohn's who is very thin but I also know others who are not. As they don't know enough about it I can't see how they they can assume that it only affects a certain weight group.