• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

25+ years with crohns and still learning

Hi folks, I'm Doug, 51 years old from Maine, but I am originally from Boston. I am new to this forum, but not new to Crohns. I was diagnosed in 1985, after a couple of years being told it was all in my head. Even though being told it was Crohns, I remember feeling a huge sence of relief knowing that what I was feeling and going through not only had a name, but it wasn't all in my head.
Over the years, I have been bounced around from med to med, trying this treatment or that, with not much success. I have had quite a few surgeries, and flatlined a couple of times during various operations.
All that being said, the one thing that I have learned about this disease is that you never know everything about this disease. Every time I thing I know all there is to know, I learn something new.
The end result of the surgeries I have had, have resulted in my living with an ileosstomy, which is non reversible, but that hasn't rid me of Crohns. I still have flare ups from time to time.
The only med that seems to keep the wolves at bay is prednisone, which I am on a maintenance dose, which kind of scares both doctor and patiant . I am also on blood pressure meds ad 2 different pain meds, both long term.
This forum seems to be filled with some ice people and look forward to getting to know and learn from and help, if I can, whenever possible, as long a you don't hold spelling and grammer against me....lol

Hi Doug! Sorry to hear that you have been suffering for that long. I was diagnosed when I was 19 and am now 46 but my crohns didn't cause issues until I was 45. I had to have a resection and a temporary ileostomy. Welcome to the forum and feel free to browse and post any questions you may have., There are a lot of smart folks on here.