• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

26 and just diagnosed with Crohns. What do I expect?

Hello! I was just diagnosed with CD this week, after a few months of on and off symptoms. :ack: Right now, the only symptoms I am seeing are in the bathroom. What can I expect in the future with this diagnoses and are there different degrees of the disease? I feel so young to be diagnosed with a chronic illness, and am curious what I can expect for the future of it. Thanks in advance for all the support! :ysmile:

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Sorry about the diagnosis. It takes some time to adjust...be patient with yourself.
Has the doctor discussed treatment going forward?
Two thing I recommend to start with:

1. Keep a food and symptom journal. It's also a good place to write questions.

2. Be weary of the internet and Dr. Google. It's probably the best way to freak yourself out. The vast majority Crohn's suffers are enjoying life and not posting.

Sending you my support.

I'm very sorry that you have Crohn's. :(

Now, hope for the best and plan for the worst. Each case is so different, they may as well be totally different diseases. We have 2 opposite cases in our own family. And it is my young son, who is having the worst of it.

I'd like to see data about most people doing well with Crohn's because my son's doctors usually seem surprised that he's doing as well as he is and it's not like he's doing all that well. Body aches, intermittent, moderate stomach pains, occasional pain when he goes and exhausted after, even though it usually takes less than 15 minutes..

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Lenny,

Crohn's effects everyone different. There are people who have it and have been in remission for years. I had twenty years of remission with no meds. But when you see sick people most of the time or read a forum like this it is harder to find a lot of positive stories. Everyone I know of on remicade (a small sample size) it doing really well. This includes two friends who are family doctors that have patients on remicade.

I'm not a fan of the "mild crohn's" terminology but their are people in that category who get diagnosed and keep things under control with diet and meds.

I was DX with severe crohn's at a young age. Life seemed pretty hopeless. But we don't know what the future holds.

Only 11% have chronic active disease.

Source: http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/ibdfactbook.pdf

Hope this helps.

Sending you and your some my support.

Last edited:
Sorry about your diagnosis. Keep your head! Like many have said, everyone is different so don't get down about the stories you read. Watch your diet, track what affects you, and try to live life :)

I was diagnosed age 21. Twenty years later I still lead the same active and social life I've always led.

If you are sensible with foods and follow good medical advice, I don't see why you can't lead as normal life as anyone else.

Admittedly there are degrees of severity of Crohn's, but the vast majority lead completely normal lives.

I've had bouts of illness with Crohns, but in 20 years. I've not really had that much time off work because of it.

There are a variety of treatments used today and are a lot better than 20 years ago.

All the best
Paul