• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

26 year old surgical scar (anal fistula) removed- and the fun continues....

Hello all- wish this forum had been around a long time ago, but my issues started before internet!
I just had a lump of scar tissue removed from next to my anus 9 weeks ago. (1/6/17) Over 26 years ago I had a very violent, fast (2 hour) labor and delivery. I developed a huge hemorrhoid which I foolishly put ice on and it thrombosed. I was sent to a colon-rectal surgeon and he simply lanced it off- three days after pushing a baby out. Well about three weeks later the surgical site had retracted into rectum and stitches tore-in a matter of time I developed a fistula and kept getting a burning bubble out side anus, which doc would drain, and I would even drain myself. I had two babies and no support around, was nursing, and not able to have surgery for about 9 months. I hardly remember that but fistula was laid open.
In the last year I have felt a hard lump near my anus- but not a hem. Surgeon poked it in office, but but no pus, only blood. So I had surgery to make sure it wasn't cancer. It was a 2cm x 1 cm acute and chronically inflamed tissue.He referred to it as a nodule and thinks it is old scar tissue form past surgery. He has never seen such a thing and my confidence is dwindling.
The trick has been to heal from bottom of incision up. There have been good days and bad days. He swears that he saw no fistula during surgical exam. He has treated me twice w/silver nitrate- but I believe there is a pattern of that healing the top of would too quickly and then I get a burst of blood and clear fluid and wound is open again. I am SO confused as he says it is taking a while to heal, but it needs to stay open. He doesn't say much about the blood. Right now it is status quo, draining a tiny bit (which I personally think is ok from a deep incision) but I have a knot of painful tissue near incision. Again, he doubts fistula and this was never really an abscess originally, but he says all bets are off as I am an unusual case (Yay...) So I am getting an MRI Saturday- of course he is going away for spring break...AND he wants me to get a second opinion.
So I am just in confused mode- what is "normal" healing form a deep incision? I really don't want a seton as I just don't wan to then have more surgery... And all of this on a butt that has been thru then wringer and shows it. All rather demoralizing. Good news- no cancer. And I had a colonoscopy and CT scan last year and no crohns. Am a C Diff survivor and had my share of IBS. Sorry for looong post- I guess I am collecting my thoughts.