• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

26 Years of Crohn's Disease

Hi, my name is Hollis. I have had Crohn's for 26 years. I was first diagnosed with Crohn's when I was ten years old. I was diagnosed with Crohn's at Children's Hospital in New Orleans. I don't think there is a procedure or medication I have not been on. I'd say it's changed my life rather drastically. Being diagnosed at such an early age with Crohn's I realize that I have had Crohn's more than half my life now.

I guess my funniest Crohn's disease story was when they gave me medication in a hospital in Memphis that made me hallucinate and think they were going to harvest my organs. I was around 13 years old at the time. I actually successfully fled the hospital and ended up barricading myself in our hotel room which the cops had to break down with a battering ram.

I'd say worst procedure or surgery I had to go through was for a fistula connected to my bladder which required placement of a stint and stint removal. This over all was my worst surgery I've had.

Currently I'm on Entocort, Ciproflaxin and Humira. I've been pretty satisfied with my doctors right now and my treatment plan. Humira's a good drug but it seriously just wipes me out energy wise. However it does work really well so I've not had to many flare ups since I've been on it.

I think the only thing that is bothering me right now is dental care. I wear dentures because my teeth basically just got destroyed over the years from antibiotics and prednisone. So right now I'm trying to find resources for that. Currently trying to find a place that would work with me on Dental Implants since I am such a young age (36) I need to get them in the next few years or I wont be able to have function from bone loss.

Hi Hollismason. Good to meet you. Goodness that must be tough at such a young age? Lol but great to see you have a sense of humour sharing your escape story 😂 It's fab you are in a good place treatment wise, makes a huge amount of difference and hope you'll be able to sort your dental out soon. I'll think about that in the near future but one end messed about with in any year is my motto 😂 Stay well. Jo

Hi, my name is Hollis. I have had Crohn's for 26 years. I was first diagnosed with Crohn's when I was ten years old. I was diagnosed with Crohn's at Children's Hospital in New Orleans. I don't think there is a procedure or medication I have not been on. I'd say it's changed my life rather drastically. Being diagnosed at such an early age with Crohn's I realize that I have had Crohn's more than half my life now.

I guess my funniest Crohn's disease story was when they gave me medication in a hospital in Memphis that made me hallucinate and think they were going to harvest my organs. I was around 13 years old at the time. I actually successfully fled the hospital and ended up barricading myself in our hotel room which the cops had to break down with a battering ram.

I'd say worst procedure or surgery I had to go through was for a fistula connected to my bladder which required placement of a stint and stint removal. This over all was my worst surgery I've had.

Currently I'm on Entocort, Ciproflaxin and Humira. I've been pretty satisfied with my doctors right now and my treatment plan. Humira's a good drug but it seriously just wipes me out energy wise. However it does work really well so I've not had to many flare ups since I've been on it.

I think the only thing that is bothering me right now is dental care. I wear dentures because my teeth basically just got destroyed over the years from antibiotics and prednisone. So right now I'm trying to find resources for that. Currently trying to find a place that would work with me on Dental Implants since I am such a young age (36) I need to get them in the next few years or I wont be able to have function from bone loss.
wow!!!!! you have been through alot!!!! i too, have had crohns for close to 30 years. i had all my teeth pulled and got dentures (about 2 mths ago) they were ruined from years of prednisone. please make sure you find a good oral surgeon before you spend money on implants. my surgeon spoke very blunt to me. he said, i can take all your money for implants, but, because of your immune system and bone loss, you will be back for dentures on down the road. so...for me...dentures it was. good luck to you and prayers for good health!😀

Thanks. Yeah, I'm on Medicaid right now so no implants for me. I am young enough with good enough bone density right now to get implants. Trying to find a way to get medicaid to pay for it since it was because of my disease.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm on Medicaid right now so no implants for me. I am young enough with good enough bone density right now to get implants. Trying to find a way to get medicaid to pay for it since it was because of my disease.
hi holismason....good thinking...tying the dental work to your disease!!!! YES!!!! wouldnt that be geat to make something good come out of your suffering. best wishes, i pray everything works out for you!!!