• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

2nd Child diagnosed with Crohn's

My oldest child was diagnosed with Crohn's at age 24 and has been in remission (drug free and symptom free) for 7 years. Now, my 16 year old son has just been diagnosed, too.

He was just hospitalized for 6 days, but is now on the road to recovery. He is 5' 8" and got down to 79 lbs. He is back up around 95 lbs now and has almost been gaining a pound a day. He did a 3 day course of steroids and was sent home from the hospital on Flagyl, Pentasa, Previcid & vitamins and was told his only food for 2 or 3 months would be Peptamen. He stopped the Flagyl after 2 days, due to nausea. He lasted 6 days, then seemed to lose the will to drink the Peptamen (or live) so I called the doctor and he said my son could have some real food, so long as it did not exceed 20% of his total calories. This made my son VERY happy!

Everything he has eaten has been on the scd legal list and we plan to follow that diet after he is off the Peptamen, as it has worked beautifully for our oldest child. Of course we are hoping it works for him, too!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear that both your children have ended up with this disease but am glad one is doing well and the other is on the road to recovery. If you have not already then do check out our parents forum to have a chat with the wonderful mums and dads here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49. We do also have a diet forum that is worth having a look at: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17.

Sending lots of best wishes to you and your family.

AB
xx

Welcome to the forum! Such a blow I can imagine that both now have CD. I hope your son is dealing with everything well and can start to feel better quickly. You may want to read through our Enteral Nutrition forum. Good luck.