• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

3 years and 3 painful flare ups

My name is scott. I found out 3 years again that I have crohns disease. Im now on my 3rd flare up. This one seems to be the worse been t the er twice now first time for dehydration and again today for blood in my stool. Ito my wits end with my crohns.

David

Co-Founder
Hey there Scott and welcome to the community. Man, that sucks that you're in your 3rd flare. :( My heart goes out to you.

Would you be interested in sharing what medications you're on and what specific symptoms you have? In addition, where is your Crohn's disease located? For example, the small intestine, large intestine, both, or?

All my best to you.

My crohns is located in my small intestine. Im taking 6 pentasa a day. As for symtoms excessive d light cramping in my adominal region, blood in my stool at the moment, slighty dehydrated.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear that you keep getting problems with the tum although not overly surprised given the med you are on - Pentesa is only used in really mild cases of crohn's and is actually approved for the treatment of ulcerative colitis due to the way it works. Have you seen your GI yet about this flare and is there a plan to try a new med?

AB
xx

Soonest apt I could get is on the 29th. We have talked before about changing meds due to the cost of the Pentasa and lack of insurance. Hes stated that for the location of my crohns Pentasa is the best suited meds.

David

Co-Founder
Angrybird is absolutely correct. Pentasa doesn't work for most people with Crohn's disease and considering you have had three flares in three years, it's not working well for you either. If your doctor insists on you just being on Pentasa or any other formulation of mesalamine (the active ingredient in Pentasa) then I strongly suggest you seek out a gastroenterologist who specializes in Crohn's disease.