• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

3 yrs with crohns and still learning

Hello
My name is Mischelle and I was diagnosed with Crohns 3 years ago. Went in for a regular checkup with my Dr. and mentioned symptoms I was having, they immediately sent me to a GI Dr. A week after our first meeting I had a colonoscopy which was kinda scary being that it was so rushed and I was told little about what was going on. The procedure lasted almost 2 hrs which had my husband worried because he was told 30 min to an hr. While the Dr was doing the procedure he found a lot of polups and one big one which he carefully removed for looking at. I remember waking up during the procedure and hearing a little talking plus looking at the screen, then was given more med to knock me out again. In the recovery room i waited with my husband and the Dr came in to let us know his findings. He told us about the mass he removed and that I did indeed have Crohns. We talked briefly and left. The next day I was in pain and called him up. He figured I would be and gave me some pain meds plus antibiotics. I saw him a week later and started on predison (for 3 months) and Asacol (forever).
Here is is 3 years later, during that time I had a bouncy baby boy and my symptoms went away all through pregnancy and a year later. I did have to stop my medication to nurse my son so that didn't help it from staying away. A month ago I called up my GI Dr and made an appointment because I was having stomach pains again (hadn't seen him in 2 yrs). He checked the upper part of my intestine etc. and found nothing wrong, then says he knows i'm in pain and sent me in for an ultrasound. Turns out my gallbladder was full of stones. 4 weeks ago I had surgery to remove it and was doing fine till last week and my Crohns symptoms returned. I'm now having pain in my stomach, hot flashes and frequent bathroom runs. I'm not sure if it is all related to the gallbladder removal or i'm out of remission. Any helpful advice would be welcomed and appreciated. :)

I would ask your GI to run a Fecal Calprotectin test. It is a stool test that will let you know how much inflammation in going on in your digestive tract. A normal result is 50 or less. They like people with Crohn's to be below 300. If you are flaring you can be in the 1000's. This test is very easy to do and should give you a good idea if you are out of remission.

I would want labs done too.

I have only been dealing with my son's crohns now for 2 years but I would not want to be in a situation where he wasn't on any meds for it. Talk to your GI, and make a plan for treatment. Asacol is usually only used in UC not crohn's. It is really not considered a med that is strong enough for crohn's disease. It will handle superficial inflammation which can help you feel a bit better but could prevent you from feeling damage that is occurring.

Congratulations on your little boy!!

Hello,
Jonnysmom, thank you for responding. Sorry you son has to go through these problems also. It doesnt seem like my GI DR wants to be bothered by me to much, if i hadnt called recently about my new pain I doubt i'd have heard from him. He never called to check on me to see how things were going or anything after the post checkup after my colonosopy. I read on here about Crohns and online wondering how many time you are to see your dr or even hear from him and I am no where near the amount.

This week I have had 2 days that have bothered me. I woke up around 4 am with bad gas, gurgling and a stabbing pain in my stomach that lasted 5 hrs, with this i had to run to the bathroom with watery stools (sorry to much info). I took tons of gas ex and of course my prilosec and asacol. But they didn't work. Any suggestions what this could be?