• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

4 days left for my stoma

Tuesday I go in for my reversal. Had my pre-op today. Surgeon said because the prolapse she might not be able to stretch what I have left of my colon to the little part of colon left attached to my rectum so she me just scrap it and pull down my small intestine to that tail end of colon and rectum.

She said she would just go through the previous openings, so shouldn't have anymore extra scars. The colostomy was done robotically assisted larpascopic, so just a couple of tiny slits that I can already barely see. She is a pretty top notch surgeon that teaches this procedure to other hospitals.

Does anyone have their small intestine connected in this way? I am guessing I am going to be on the crapper all the time due to the short path for everything. My output now with the stoma is not a lot, and ranges from a paste like consistancy to watery.

I fully expect to have another stoma someday, but I am hoping I can get 5+ years out of this hookup. The last two months have been the first time I have not been on medicine for Crohns in 17 years. When I get home from surgery I will be taking Cimzia.

I wish I could say I will miss my stoma, but I won't. It has been a hassle, and uncomfortable.

If anyone has had a similar procedure I would love to hear how it went, recovery,etc.

Well, my surgery tomorrow has been cancelled. I had to go to the ER on Sunday night because of a Kidney Stone.

So now they will not do the surgery until the kidney stone is taken care of. So disappointed.

Oh man, I'm so sorry. I know just how you feel. When I had my reversal 2 years ago, I was so excited to just get it done, and then my surgery was postponed too. I swear, I had a nervous break down at my office (where I got the news). My boss was so freaked out she closed my door and told me I couldn't leave until I stopped freaking out. She was afraid I was too shaken up to drive myself.

BUT I did get my reversal, and you will too. Now it seems like I never had my ostomy at all. It is like a strange dream.

I just wanted you to know that someone read your post and knows what you are going through. I hope your stone passes without too much pain and Good luck with your reversal!

Wow! That sucks double!!!

What are they doing for your kidney stone? Waiting for it to pass or are you already going on to lithotripsy?

I really feel for you. That really, really, really sucks!

I am not sure yet on the stone, they basically just sent me home with pain pills and nausea pills. Threw up on and off all night from the pain meds and not eating to to the fast to clear myself out for the surgery.

I go to the urologist on Friday. See what he says, once he gives the OK to my surgeon then I can re-schedule. It was not a big stone, but the surgeon was concerned because she didn't want a pain or infection from the bowel healing to be dismissed as kidney stone pain.

I have been out of work with this since April. I was all set to go back until it prolapsed out, so they moved the reversal up rather than do anything to repair the prolapse. But now I need to deal with the prolapse a few more weeks.

Really hoping it can still get done this month, had some things planned in August and will be bummed to cancel them.

I had the same thing just over two weeks ago, I was squedualed for my colectomy for the wed and ended up in hospital in agony the thursday before and hospitalized with kidney stones. They were going to cancel my surgery if I couldn't pass them. One was stuck n the uinery track and in the bladder. So I had muscle relax cent. I was so afraid thy were going to cancel on me but their plan of attack was if I did the urologist would just come in on the operation and place a stent in. Was lucky I past both. Although I was let out on the Monday Afternoon and placed back in for surgery on the wed at 7am.

I wish you all the best

Terriernut

Oh damnation! You are understandably fustrated with your body no doubt! You'll get there in the end, dont worry. Just a bump in the road.

Fingers crossed they get the stone out and you can get reversed asap.

You poor bugger. I just passed one of my kidney stones - excruciating!!
Having the other four blasted on July 31st. Ouch!
I'm so disappointed for you that your kidney stones have delayed your reversal - I know how much you want to get rid of your bag.
Fingers crossed the inflammation will soon ease and you can proceed with your surgery.

The bummer part is, I have not been in pain, or taken anything for pain since Sunday. The surgery was supposed to be today.

I don't know where the stone is? I don't feel like I passed anything, but I have no pain either.

I am hoping that the Urologist gives the OK on Friday and I can make the appointment for the reversal, Urologist and surgeon are in same office at the hospital. Frustrating either way. Wouldn't be so bad if it was not for the prolapse. Taking a shower and washing it off it all swells up and falls back out and which is a little uncomfortable and wearing this girdle thing on top of the bag under my clothes in the summer is itchy and sweaty.

I start my Cimzia tomorrow since the surgery got postponed, so I guess that is good?

Such a drag... I really feel for you. So glad you are not having pain, though it would help to better determine what is going on with your stone. Hopefully it has already passed.

As with all the above posts I concur....totally sucks on both fronts..... I find it strange that everyone on here seems to be popping up with kidney stones... I know that they are more common with crohns I just didn't think they were as common as they seem to be for us on this site. I had the same thing happen to me, go hospital with crazy pain (a week before my c-section), catheterized me, pain gone immediately, found stone, home with relaxants and pain meds.....then nothing. I have never had an issue since. So either I passed it or it got bumped out of the uretal (sp?) opening back into the kidney and just hasn't popped back into it.... At least that was what the urologist on call told me could happen....so that could be why you haven't felt any recent pain. IDK exactly. Anyways, wishing you a speedy new sx date,

All the best,

Kat

Terriernut

I'm hoping it passed for you with no pain. (I can always expect miracles)

I am truly hoping they get your reversal done within the next month. I am rooting for you!

Thanks everyone. I passed the stone (didn't hurt, was the size of a BB). I went to the urologist today and he gave the go ahead for the surgery. So now I need to reschedule, do the pre-op anesthesia appointment again and get this sucker done. I am hoping she can still do it this month.

Well, they tried to get approval for late OR to do the procedure next Tuesday, so a no go. I am now scheduled for July 31.

I originally planned on being back to work after 6 week. It has now been 12 weeks since my surgery and I probably will not be back until the first week of September.

Terriernut

Sorry to hear that! Being off work that long must be awful. I hope your employer is treating you well?

I bet the 31st cant come soon enough!

Oh bummer! I know you've been looking forward to getting the reversal, and with work constraints, this must be a bit of a setback.

I hope the time between now and July 31 moves quickly for you!

Kismet

ameslouise

Hey Chris - I haven't logged on in forever. I didn't even know you had a stoma!! Sorry to hear about your reversal being postponed. Good luck on the 31st, and good luck with the kidney stones!!

Take care of yourself - hang in there! - Amy

Some good news today, they had a cancellation and moved me up to next Tuesday, the 24th. Never thought I would be excited for surgery. I know I have some recovery ahead, and will be spending a lot of time in the john, but it is better than this giant prolapsed stoma and wearing this brace around me every day, especially in this 80+ degree weather.

Wow. That's frustrating.
How are you spending your waiting time?
My work has been good about the whole thing, I rarely called in sick or complained for 8 years leading up to this. They just sent me a get well basket this week, which was unexpected and nice.

As for how I am spending my time? I taught myself to cross-stitch, so I sit around and do that a lot. Built a bunch of Lego models, walk around the thrift/antique stores. I go for walks. Generally do a lot of sitting around, easy chores around the house.

Had my revision done tues the 17th,
it was a much needed surgery,
no staples, no BS, just anesthesia a few snips here and there and some stiches and wer'e done.

I am so glad to have my buddy back, freedom !!!

I will post pics so y'all can see

I will have a to post a picture of mine. I have taken pictures of mine of the past few months.

How big is yours now that you had it fixed?

Terriernut

:rof: I'm sorry, really. Two guys checking on sizes! :rof::ylol:

I know its not meant that way, it just tickled my funny bone!

The reversal went well. My surgeon was able to stretch what I have left of my colon. I am feeling ok, just tired and sore. They got me up and walking around already and had my first bowel movement this afternoon.

Still on a restricted liquid diet. So really only ice chips, some juice and an icee.

Terriernut

I'm so glad it went well. I know you so wanted this!

I'm with Toothy...how was the BM? And, how is it possible to move around to run to the loo? (Cause I'm getting a reversal this year)

I am home now. I was released yesterday afternoon. It felt so good to take a shower this morning and a hot shave. Feel like a new man.

The first BM was surprisingly not bad, not painful at all. The pain comes from bending to get on and off the toliet. My reversal was done laproscopically, and through the two holes I already had opened. So she went through the stoma and a small slit I had on my waist line where my rectum was tucked up, she called it a mucus fistula.

So now I have a slit on my waist line where the mucus fistula was, and a hole where my stoma was, about the size of a nickle. While I was in the hospital they packed both holes twice a day. The surgeon did not want me to pack the wounds at home. I am just to take a shower each day and let the soap and water wash over the wounds and place clean gauze over the wounds everyday. I have percocets for pain and some antibiotics. I go back on August 9th for a follow up.

I am to return to a normal diet, and they would like me to use fiber to control my BMs before resorting to immodium.

This morning I had one of the most normal bowel movements I have had in years. So far I am not having to go a lot, and when I do it has been formed. I have not seen any blood yet either. It has just been greenish in color.

Yesterday afternoon I felt a little bloated and backed up. I had some greek yogurt and banana applesauce for dinner and that got things moving again. They said the pain pills would slow me down/constapate me and they. Yogurt has been good at getting things moving without having to use a stool softener.

Overall, I feel better days out than I would have imagined I would have. The wounds are gnarly looking, and I am super sore and can't do much other than sit. But my BMs since I have been home have been better each time, and I am feeling better each day.

I will be happy when the wounds are a little more healed up, especially the stoma hole. Looks crazy, but every day will be a better day.

Terriernut

I too will be watching your recovery. Reversal for me this year hopefully. I am very happy you are home and feeling better! :dance:

That's great news! Hopefully the pain will ease quickly & you will back to yourself in no time at all.

Is it weird to feel worried about feeling good? I sort of feeling like I am waiting for something to go haywire after how haywire the last three months have been.

It has now been a week and I am amazed at how good I feel. Still sore, but not a ton. I was able to walk two blocks today without a problem. BMs are about 4-5 a day, sometimes like D, but mostly semi formed. Better than I ever had with the bag.

Wounds are nasty, but look better each day. Especially the lower incision which is really minor. The larger hole is still a whole, but is getting a little scabby around the edges.

Pain is better each day. Still taking the pain meds, but feel like I can go longer between doses, maybe 8-10 hrs instead of every 6.

Only thing I worry about is infection, but I am taking the antibiotics every 8 hours and taking care of the wound as instructed, keeping everything clean and fresh bandages every day.