• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

4 feet small bowel and humira

4 feet small bowel and humira
hi to everyone
im new to this site .i have had cd for 28 years ,10 operations which was due to open fistulas linking to bowel and abdominal wall . suffer from sore joints and fatigue and also few operations in the last 2 years for kidney and bladder stones .
i have only 4 feet small bowel left and have a illeostomy. been on methetrexate for two years and now its stopped working so the doc wants to put me on humira
is there anyone out there with very little bowel left like me who is on humira and did it make a difference .
i have been on metacaptapurine once and i had to come of it due to not being able to stand up because of severe dizziness.the methetrexate made me tired and nausia and i had to take procloperazine to help it .
this humira ,what i have read,is a risky drug to take .will it make any difference to me as i have only 4 feet small bowel left ?
the support nurse at the hospital was not very forthcoming on the success of the patients in her care ,and i felt she was taken aback that i asked so many questions and didnt just say ok go with it ,rather i said i wanted time to think about it as this is a very serious decission to make and its my life on the line if it goes wrong.
this is the first time in 28 years i have questioned the treatment being offered .so can anyone like me help with my decission .

SHOULD I OR SHOULDNT I ?THAT IS THE QUESTION

thanks to all who read this

Last edited:
Personaly, I would listen to medical advice, I was skeptical of side effects of imuran before I took it, now I'm very glad I decided to, hope you find ease with your decision soon, and hope you feel better soon

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to confirm what symptoms are you getting at the moment? Also given the amount of bowel you have left do your docs do regular checks on your vitamin levels? I do not have any experience with Humira but do check out our sub forum for this as the folks here may be able to help: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

thanks for your reply
i am on vit b12 injections .the latest scan shows quite a bit of small bowel is inflamed with crohns .the scan was done because i had a blockage and severe pain for two days about two months ago .i have problems with fatigue ,nausea and sore joints .
one site i found helped as it had other crohns patients on humira
www.askapatient.com

Angrybird

How often do you have this B12 shots and when was your level along with your other levels last checked? Are you on anything at the moment to get the inflammation down?

every 3 months and i am on predisalone i get my levels every month .i feel like since my last op in 2000 that my body had enough and every year since then my energy has decreased and i have been left disabled .i had 10 ops over 10 years because of fistures linking onto my bowel and breaking out on the surface .