• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

4 years, 4 long years

Hi all,

My name is Stewart.

So I was diagnosed with severe ulcerative colitis in 2010 after being rushed to hospital.

It was sever enough to the point that no medication would work to slow it. I ended up having a total colectomy with a temporary ileostomy.

Later that year I had more surgery to put in a J-Pouch and loop ileostomy, with reversal early 2011.

Unfortunately I frequently had pouchitis with eventually couldn't be controlled by medication. Earlier this year I had the J-Pouch removed and a permanent ileostomy put in.

So besides all this, I live in South Australia, am 22 years old, and study at the University of Adelaide in anatomy and Biochemistry.

:)

Welcome to the forums Stewart. Sorry to hear about the medication weren't helping. Had you tried things such as Humira, Remicade, etc?

Stay strong and optimistic and keep going to school. Even if you can't manage to attend class, online courses are always available.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome Stewart

You def have first hand experience with GI anatomy! It's great you are studying while dealing with CD.Are there university staff that know you have CD? A nurse or professor you feel you can talk to if CD complications make it difficult for you?

The forum is a great collection of like minded people.Every crohnie is different and there is a great wealth of experience to draw on.There are crohnies from all over the place and all walks of life.I chat with PenguinVic,a fellow Aussie of yours.Maybe she will throw her two cents in now I tagged her.

Keep the faith! It can be hard at times...you have support here in the forum through tough and good times. Dave

Hi Stewart.
I am a bit slow with technology, and only just figured out that Dave tagged me in his post, above....

Welcome to the forum. It's good to have a few more Aussies around the place, as well as a fellow 'nerd'!! I teach at a university in Melbourne, and I have found that there are heaps of supports on campus for students facing chronic health issues. So if your health is getting in the way of studies, please make sure you check those out on your campus.

I do hope everything is settling down now?

Cheers!

Vic

HI Stewiedewey
Ive had Crohn's now in my colon for 13 years, I'm now 31 I've never been in remission and I've tried just about every medication there is,I'm currently trying Helminthic therapy but I'm unsure if that is working.the consultant i see tries to talk me into having my colon removed every time i go but that scares me too much how are you finding living with it.