• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

48 Hour Detox to Better Bowels

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Update* I've updated the post to recommend a safer supplementation route, I'll add and addendum at the end offering you optional supplements.

Hello, I've decided to share a therapy that could help improve your symptoms in just 48 hours. This is not a cure, and you will still deal with many of the same problems, but this should help reverse some of the damage, and may even open up your diet to foods you couldn't eat before, in just 48 hours!

I'd like to preface by saying I'm not a medical professional, and while I believe this therapy is 100% safe, you do so at your own risk. It DOES involve taking some supplement above their recommended dosing. Remember, however, as sufferers of Crohn's we do not often fully absorb the supplements we take, so sometimes higher doses are necessary to get the full benefits. I've had nutritionists advise me taking 3-4x the recommended doses of multivitamins for this reason.

Although I say it is easy this will be long winded as I explain my theories, so you don't just blindly follow my guidelines, but know WHY I suggest it.

Recently I started losing some of my favorite foods to intolerance. I felt I was losing ground to Crohn's again. I know more now than I did in the past, but I thought I had my condition in check. I currently take no pharmaceutical medications for my condition, and have not since I learned to control it with diet.

In the past few months I've become a bit too lax in my sugar and sweets intake, which I believe lead to my 'flare' (I don't really like this word, it suggests that flares are random, unprovoked events, which I don't believe is the case.)

We know the prevailing theories for the cause of Crohn's symptoms is dysbiosis and leaky gut, whether that's the full story, or the result of external influences like MAP seems yet to be determined, but we've seen great successes treating it as an imbalance of bacteria, or overgrowth of bad bacteria in the intestines. We know intestinal bacteria plays a huge role in the condition.

Part of the problem is also believed to be, contrary to what was once taught, that our immune system is actually UNDER active, and fails to be able to control the bacteria, which it normally was able to keep in check. Patients have seen improvement through supplements that actually improve their body's ability to fight off this bacteria, such as high doses of Vitamin C and Echinacea. Some animals naturally produce Vitamin C, and in the event of an infection their Vitamin C production greatly increases, which is one reason why animals don't get sick from licking their own butts. Humans are dependent on their diet for the source of Vitamin C, which is why they get scurvey if they don't have enough fruits and vegetables. Most Crohn's patients aren't getting enough of either due to being sensitive to fiber.

After reading about FMT (Fecal matter transplant) being a therapy that provides great results with what is essentially a 5 hour, extreme pro-biotic therapy, my goal was to harness something as close to this as I can given the over-the-counter products available to me.

I developed a 48 hour detox plan to help me, I tested it out, and lo the VERY NEXT DAY I was able to eat foods I haven't been able to eat in months. When I did have reactions to foods they were less severe than they had been.

The 48 hour detox plan also comes with a follow up diet and supplementation plan to help you maintain the stability of your gut flora going forward.

What you will need:

Required:
-Turmeric Capsules
-Vitamin C supplements
-A multivitamin
-A multi-strain probiotic with at least 10 billion strands (I used NOW foods, available on Amazon.)

Optional:
-Echinacea
-Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
-coconut oil
-Zinc if your multi doesn't already have it
-L-Glutamine
-Milk thistle or a liver detox complex
-Colloidal Silver, Aloe Vera Juice

Day 1:
Day 1 is going to be a detox. During this day there is one key tenet.
We are trying to starve out the bad bacteria, and the way to do that is to not eat carbohydrates. This means no sugar, no sweets, no soda, no fruits, no oats, or bread.
You should plan to eat a high-fat, high-protein diet this day. If you can tolerate coconut oil, this is a great addition to the diet, as it is anti-bacterial, and high in fat, and helps induce ketosis (your body changing fat into energy in place of carbs).
Make no mistake, you will be lethargic, your brain won't work well, and you'll crave sweets like no other, but you just have to make it through 24 hours.

During this time I want you to take 3000 mg of vitamin C in the morning and in the evening. You want to stimulate your body's natural immune system to help it fight off the invading bacteria. If you've got Echinacea take it with the vitamin C. If your multi doesn't have zinc, take as recommended in the morning.

Take 3-4 turmeric capsules, or about 1/2 tbsp turmeric by mouth every hour.

You should also take the multi vitamin to make up for the lost nutrition you're not getting due to the limited diet of this day. Honestly you should be taking one anyway as a Crohn's sufferer. Today take more than the recommended dose, I suggest getting one with low or no iron though for this day.

Take 1 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in a tall glass of water once in the morning and once before bed. If this makes you sick, you may avoid it.

If you're having trouble feeling sated you may consume a high fat dairy-product like cream, but keep it to a minimum as milk contains carbohydrates and dairy can have other negative effects on the process. (I used dairy and it turned out fine however). I suggest cream or half and half so you can exponentially increase the calories you intake without the high amount of carbs you'd get from lots of milk. This day should be mostly meat and healthy fats like Olive Oil.

Day 2:

Day 2 is a refeed day. We've now starved the population of bad bacteria in the intestines, now we have to repopulate it with the good.

Carbohydrates are back on the table, but today, and henceforth I want you to focus on complex carbs, like oats, and whole grains, and minimize your intake of sugars

Good bacteria DOES however require carbs to survive, much like the bad, so consuming healthy sugars like those sourced from fruits, honey, and molasses is acceptable.

Today you will take 2 Probiotic capsules every half hour the entire day. Make your first dose on an empty stomach.
Take 1/2 tbsp or 3-4 capsules of turmeric every hour.
Take only 3000 mg of Vit C ONCE, or broken up over 3 meals.
Plan to space your carbohydrates throughout the day to avoid spikes.

I also recommend plain Kefir, you can sweeten it at home with honey or chocolate if you'd like, but I suggest sweetening it at home so you know how much and what is going into it. Kefir contains high doses of probiotics if prepared right. If you can make your own yogurt or kefir at home, all the better.

Maintenance:

Going forward continue to take 3000 mg of vitamin C, a multi, zinc, echinacea daily, and 3-4 turmeric capsules twice daily. Limit your intake of simple sugars. I also highly recommend supplementing Vitamin D as many crohn's patients are deficient in this, but you can have your doctor test your blood to be certain.

Recap and Cliffs for TLDR folks:
Day 1:
-No carb diet
-vitamin C 6k mg
-Turmeric, 1/2 tbsp every hour
-Multi vitamin. take 2-3x recommended
-Coconut oil optional, highly recommended

Day 2:
-Refeed with complex carbs and limited sugars
-Vitamin C 3k mg
-Turmeric, 1/2 tbsp every hour
-Multi vitamin as recommended
-Kefir optional, but recommended

Maintain:
-3kmg vit c
-multi at recommended dose
-take turmeric daily
-continue taking probiotic as recommended, on empty stomach
-(Optionally) Take L-Glutamine supplements to repair intestinal damage, try to find very pure stuff with no maltodextrin in it.

This therapy is not super cheap, but for your health it should be worth it.
What it will cost:

-$10 for vitamin C
-$10 turmeric
-$10 on Coconut Oil *
-$10+ on a multi vitamin
-$10+ on echinacea*
-$10+ on probiotics
-$10+ on Zinc*
-$15+ on L-Glutamine*
-$5-10 on ACV

*- Optional but recommended
Good luck to you, and hopefully this can help you like it helped me.

*Additional optional supplements:
-Aloe Vera Juice: This supplement is not recommended for long term use, it's a natural antibiotic but has possibly been linked to carcinogenic properties in studies on laboratory animals. This can be a useful tool during Day 1 of the detox if you can tolerate it. Will likely cause a laxative effect.

-Colloidal Silver: This supplement is not recommended for long term use either. It's another natural antibiotic, abuse of this can lead to blue-hue of the skin which is irreversible. Do not take for extended periods of time.

-Milk Thistle or other kidney / liver detox complexes: These are generally safe. The die-off of bacteria and candida in the intestines can lead to illness, and flood the liver with toxic dead cells. Help you liver by drinking plenty of water and taking a detox complex .

Last edited:

rygon

I wouldn't say colliodal silver is 100% safe. In fact I would say it is not safe at all!

I wouldn't say colliodal silver is 100% safe. In fact I would say it is not safe at all!
Enlighten me, all I know of is it turns you blueish if you abuse it in high doses for years.

I don't recommend long term use, but we have limited access to other over-the-counter anti-bacterial agents.

Aloe vera comes to mind, also not recommended for long term consumption.

Turmeric is also a strong option. I'm not sure what its fiber content is considered.

I'll update the original post to have a safer guide. It should still work without the colloidal silver.

Last edited:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Colloidal silver is something that's potentially very dangerous and is not something that the forum endorses using. Because of this, I'm locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.