• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

5 abscesses&colonoscopy

In the middle of July I had a perianal abscess, I had just found out I was pregnant went to hospital ended up on a portable iv and sent home to wait for a surgeon to call me. I miscarried and ended up having surgery to remove the abscess :( since then have had 4 more abscess my go finaly decided to send me to a general surgeon who checked out my bum and found all 5 areas of abscess haven't closed( waiting for MRI to find fistulas) he sent me for a colonoscopy which came back that I have Crohn's in my terminal ileum no waiting for my first GI appointment. Feeling very overwhelmed and scared any advice?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Sarahann and welcome to the forum! :D

So sorry to hear about your miscarriage. :( I'm glad you got a diagnosis but sorry that it was Crohn's. Crohn's is treatable though and many medications/treatments can be taken during pregnancy but there's a better outcome to have a healthy pregnancy and baby when you're not in an active flare (this is if you want to conceive again in the future).

When is your GI appointment? Medications like Remicade do very well when dealing with abscesses and fistulas (if you do have any, I hope you don't). In the meantime you can help to reduce symptoms (like pain or diarrhea etc) by changing your diet a bit. The low residue diet is a good one during flares. Yet there are other diets you could try as well. Feel free to check out the diet section here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Feel free to check out our Pregnancy/TTC section, we have other members who have dealt with miscarriages as well: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

We also have a Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses section here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Try to reduce your stress as much as possible. Write down every question and concern you have so you can discuss them with your doctor (it'll help make the appointment less stressful).

Keep us posted on how your appointment goes and how you're feeling. :hug:

Thank you for replying this is very scary I've been doing a lot of reading because I really didn't know much about Crohn's unfortunately the Internet has a lot of worst case scenario which is very scary. I don't know when my GI appointment is yet waiting to hear from them with that. I was wondering what to expect at this appointment since I've already been diagnosed? Any infor can help thank you

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Your appointment will likely cover your treatment options to help get rid of the abscesses and to prevent them and inflammation. Its possible that they may want to run more tests as well but I'm not sure but it is a possibility (depends on the MRI results).

Sooo almost a year in of being diagnosed and still nothing, MRI came back that I still had active abscess however didn't get to see GI until 3 months later. He put me on flagyl and cipro and sent for another MRI that was in April MRI isn't until June and don't see GI again until July. Good news is if abscess are gone he's putting me on humira learned how to self inject on the weekend.