• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

5 and half weeks delzicol, 10mg prednisone atm, bowel movements increased from 3-5 on 40mg to 6-10 on 20+10mg

newly diagnosed. 20, male.
Crohn's Disease, left-sided colitis.

so I'm about 6 weeks into Mesalamine(Delzicol), and it doesn't seem to be working because I'm tapering off the prednisone and my symptoms seem to be coming back,
on 40mg prednisone my bowel movements decreased to 3 and at max 5, now with 10mg prednisone I went 9 times yesterday, and already 5 times today.

1. I still have VERY painful bowel movements when stool is somewhat formed (so I'm guessing the ulcers aren't healed from mesalamine) (loose stools aren't painful)
2. I have 1 or 2 somewhat fluffy (sausage shaped) stool followed by the other 8 or 9 being loose and thin.
3. on 40mg's I had 1 or 2 formed stools followed 1 or 2 loose stools.

What do I do? What do you guys think I should do? Any suggestions? Thoughts?
my thoughts :
1. want to call the doctor and ask him if I can go back on 40mg prednisone first, just so I can feel good again asap...
2. I want to try to get a biologic asap.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Definitely give your doctor a call, you don't want to slide too far backwards. Sounds like you will need a stronger medication.

As for trying a biologic, many doctors now will do a top-down approach, starting with the bigger guns first.....start your research now if you haven't already, so you know what your options are (shots vs. infusion etc).

Definitely give your doctor a call, you don't want to slide too far backwards. Sounds like you will need a stronger medication.

As for trying a biologic, many doctors now will do a top-down approach, starting with the bigger guns first.....start your research now if you haven't already, so you know what your options are (shots vs. infusion etc).
Yeah ik all my options, I’ll take them all I don’t mind any, heck I’ll even give immunomodulators a try, just something other than Mesalamine

So I just had my appointment with the GI doc and I can say I’m happy, he prescribed me with Humira and also proctofoam. I’m finally getting what I want.
He also told me to drop mesalamine completely