• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

5-ASA and 6 mp

Hi, my newly dx'd daughter is taking Prednisone, Pentasa and is awaiting a prescription for 6 mp if she can metabolize it. I know they do different things, (anit-inflammatory and auto-immune suppressant) but I noticed that some people are on either a Pentasa like med or a 6 mp like drug. Do you have to be on both? Our GI seemed fine at first meeting, but I also feel like the treatment plan she handed us was really generic and I didn't walk away feeling like an individual, rather a number. Hoping I can get help here. Thanks!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Jamie, EJ is on both 6mp and Asacol. Asacol and Pentasa are the same med. just formulated to target different areas of the intestine. We recently were told to discontinue the Asacol but when we tried it did not go well so for now he is still taking both meds daily.

Astra

Hi Jamie

The difference being, the 5ASAs are prophylactics, preventatives for future flares, they act like an aspirin, to ward off inflammation, no good on their own if there's a flare.
Pentasa can be taken in conjunction with any med, ie Pred or Azathioprine or 6MP.
I've taken Pentasa for 5 years and it kept me in remission all that time without any other med, until this year when I had a massive flare and was given Pred. When I finish the Pred, Pentasa will be my only med again, my maintenance drug.
xxxx

Boy, Mark and Joan, you've helped me on every question. I'm just curious if she HAS to have the 6 mp too? I've read that the side effects can be pretty nasty...

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Jamie, that's why they do the test!! If it shows that she can adequately metabolize 6mp, she will be less likely to have any side effects. Does she have to?? I guess that's ultimately up to you Mom!!

The 6mp and asacol have given EJ a very good year thus far!! We are loathe to mess with this success, so for now at least, we will be staying the course.

My doc reccommends I remain on the Pentasa (I am on the same treatment plan as your daughter), and she says there are recent studies showing that long term use of Pentasa can prevent a certain type of bowel cancer associated with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. So there's a plus! :)

My son started on pentasa and imuran to get his crohn's under control. For the imuran, it took so long to get the blood concentration to a therapeutic level. I think it was close to a month.

CCFA has some wonderful information or even online chat with a nurse. They can give you a statistic for the side effects. I became obsessive about numbers with medications.

thanks again everyone. If she needs to be on both, she will be. I just can't figure out why some kids are on both types (5ASA) and 6 mp and others are on only 5 ASA or 6 mps... since they do different things, I would think you'd need both. I will try ccfa ask a nurse too. I just feel like I don't understand the meds and I don't want her to suffer from my lack of knowledge. Enjoy this beautiful day...its what we call an Indian Summer here in MI. 72 degrees and sunny at the end of Oct!

Astra

Hiya Jamie

Is Marilena taking any calcium supps too with her Pred? Pred is a bone robber
a Multivitamin isn't sufficient enough, ask your doc, my supp is called CalciChew D3, and it's on prescription.
xxxx

I'll check about the calcium... she isn't on anything extra other than fish oil... my pediatrician asked me if the GI had mentioned b12 supplements...which the GI hadn't. I feel like since our initial meeting, the GI kind of turned us loose, telling us she'd be in touch when she had our results for 6 mp... that was a week and a half ago...