• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

5 months on LDN

I meant to post more often... but I haven't. I started LDN in October, and felt it was starting to work by about 6 weeks in. Then came Christmas Eve. Had a potluck dinner at our house. I was very careful of what I ate, but within about 40 minutes of eating, I was in the bathroom with the big D! Still haven't figured out what that was all about, but after about 5 -6 days I was back to better, and have been continually improving! Having normal bms, more energy, and overall feeling good! I am hoping that this continues, and will probably break down and have a scope this spring. My GI has been after me to have a scope for about a year, and then "get started" with biologics.... he doesn't know that I am taking the LDN, and I am sure he isn't going to be happy about it - he refused to prescribe it. The Dr. who prescribed the LDN suggested I have a scope between 6 months - 1 year on LDN. Since I had the issue in December, I am going to wait a little longer.

A few other things that I am doing are - juicing organic fruit / veggies every other day - I have also actually eaten a pear (in Jan.) and 2 strawberries -(in Feb.)- they were delicious, and I had no problems when I ate them! I miss fresh fruit and salads, but am very leery of them! I will keep trying one fresh item every month and see how it goes.

The Dr. I saw in Sept - who gave me LDN, also did a lot of testing for allergies and nutrient deficiencies, and found I am allergic to wheat! I stopped eating wheat and have lost 20 lbs! It was not to much for me to lose, so I am ok with it. Also taking B12 shots and D3, probiotics. Have gotten off the Omeprozole and very seldom have any reflux / heartburn!

I encourage anyone who decides to give LDN a try to be patient! And make sure that you are getting and rebuilding to normal levels the vitamins / nutrients that the Crohn's has depleted.
Marlie

Kev

My thoughts... the 'hiccup' at Christmas was just that... a hiccup. Even healthy people get the big 'D' from time to time. It could have been something you ate, it could have been a passing bug... it doesn't necessarily mean you had a flare. If it repeated, stayed around, went up and down like a IBD flare... then you'd need to be a little concerned, OK?
I would expect 'hiccups' in the early stages, whether from physical stressors like cold or flu... or from emotional stressors that seem far more common over the holiday season.