• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

5cm abscess

Five years of having crohn's and they found my first abscess only 2 cm in July. Looking back at old CT scans they (GI's) said its been there for years just a gas filled one. Then last week went to the E.R. Sunday night, Wednesday night, and Thursday night, finally ending up in the hospital stay. They found a 5 cm abscess along with the 2 cm abscess. This one was not filled of gas but nasty stuff. So a long story short I know have a drain in place letting everything out. When they put the drain in I thought I would only have it in while I was in the hospital boy was I wrong. I could have this thing for weeks or longer. I have one question is the drain suppose to hurt? I understand that there will be pain I mean I have a tube coming out of me. But the last couple of days I have been taking morphine pills to get through the day. I e-mailed my G.I. but nothing back yet. I go back for another CT scan on Monday to make sure things are going the way they want them to. I don't know I am just so scared!:confused2:

:hug:Sorry I can't offer any advice, just want to say I'm sorry you're going through so much!

I would double check with the doctor-I mean, obviously there's discomfort, but not the same as being painful, maybe this needs looking into.

I have had two. The first did not drain properly and resulted in surgery. The second, I felt immediate relief when the drain was inserted. I had that drain for five days. Both were real sore where the drain was inserted. Look red and infected.

No to scare u but the first ended up being extremely painful. But they could not reach it correctly for it to drain. I was begging the er staff to knock me out. They gave me the strongest drug they had and it did not phase me. Doc said that it was the size of an apricot though.

I hope u have the drain in for only a few, then removed. Give it time...

Thank you both for writing back. I did just hear back from my G.I. and he said its normal at the site where the drain goes in/comes out to have pain, and that is where the pain is.

tpd320: I have a question for you. How long did it take for you "grow" (sorry couldn't think of a better word) the apricot sized one? I ask this because this 5 cm one grew within a month. I got my drain on Friday the 5th and will have it until I don't know yet. I have about 10 cc of stuff to drain out of the bag every night. I would rather you tell me how it is. I am already scared so don't worry about that.

Hi went to the hospital today because felling sick can't eat stomach is swolen and hurt's when you touch it, last colonoscopy showed cobblestoneing.I also have a abscess and can't poo properly consultant suggests we now have surgery on the abscess, please tell me they knock you out,if not what happens.
peakey 1553

If they just insert a drain you will be under heavy sedation but still aware of your surroundings. You may feel some slight pain but nothing you cannot handle.

To answer the first question, mine grew rather fast. But my small intestine had a small perforation which formed the abscess. The abscess basically collected all the junk that was seeping out. I would say about just short of a month after my first ct scan. They tried giving me antibiotics first and hoped that it would clear up. Instead, it grew. Problem was that they did not have a clear path when they inserted the drain. Basically I had an organ in the way. I am sure if they would have hit it right that it would have drained properly without sugary. I just had some bad luck that summer.

I had a drain put in after fistula plug failed and I developed abcess. It took about 4 weeks to feel better, by the time it was taken out on the 8th week I had no pain or discomfort at all. Sit in a tub us many times per day as you can and use hot water as hot as you you can handle. Make sure to completely submurge your drain site in water. I used a bath tub 3 to 4 times a day for 20 min. Sits bath pan did not work well for me.