• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6 week medical marathon.....now have worst INSOMINA...and where next for my medication....HELP!!!

I've just had a rather traumatic 6 week admission to hospital that has left me in a pickle!!

I've had crohn's (upper GI) since 2011 and until very recently things had been the best they have ever been - taking 6MP, pantoprazole and having 8 weekly infliximab infusions.

Unfortunately I managed to pick up a viral encephalitis which landed me in ICU for 11 days :-( WHile very unwell they had to stop my crohn's drugs, which is understandable, and switched me over the elemental E028 drinks to try and keep things in check.

Eventually, once neurology, micro and ICU where happy with my progress and my brain was behaving the decided to restart my 6MP...unfortunatley 36 hrs later I developed acute pancreatitis...such a pain..quite literally!

wasn't absorbing anything orally and vomiting loads so ended up with an NJ tube + elemental feed (which was long over due after a period of almost 10 days without nutrition)

and the final nail in the coffin was a mega flare of my crohn's once the pancreatitis was settling down...so more IV steroids.....NJ feeds....more scopes

Now, I've been home for just under 2 weeks now and the issues I need help/advice for are

1. Has anyone ever been able to restart 6MP after it has caused pancreatitis?

2. Are there people out there on infliximab alone?? I'm really scared that one agent might not keep me in remission but I don't know what the other options are.

3. I have the worst insomina in the world at the moment....I know it's probably a combination of 6 weeks in hospital with no sleep wake cycle....added to that high dose steroids and possibly so subtle damage to my brain. Does any one know ANY tips on how to aid sleeping through the night.

4. I seem to have the start of a pressure sore beginning on my sacrum...at the moment it's very red with 2 areas of skin that have broken down (like decapped blisters)...noticed them after a long train journey that was a little uncomfortable! while i was in hospital I had special mattresses and cushions to help prevent them, but no such luck at home. I feel a little embarrased seeing my GP about it but don't want them to get wores. Any tips of dressings?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Oh my you've been through it. The only thing I can relate to is the insomnia and I too am looking for answers.

I want to send you my support and wish for good health going forward.

Take care
Dave

One thing that helps me to fall asleep is spraying my pillow & sheets & myself sometimes with Bath & Body Works Aromatherpy "Sleep - lavender/chamomile" body mist. It is relatively inexpensive and I order it online (many times on sale or with coupons) I order about 3 bottles at a time.

Sorry you've had such a hard time. Sending healing thoughts!:ghug:

In the past I have used melatonin to help me sleep - and this contributes to re-establishing the sleep wake cycle too.

Another option can be blue light therapy, or I did read a story about camping in summer helping with this too?!

Not sure if the melatonin would interact with your other meds, but it is a relatively natural option.

Best of luck:)