• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6mp - Azathiroprine - Risk of Skin Cancer

I have not been on either of these meds. I am on a mailing list for medlineplus.com for bowel disease news and recieved this in my email this morning and thought I would pass it along to the forum.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_118992.html

It talks about the use of thiropurines in inflammatory bowel disease (one time in the article it referred to IBD as Irritable Bowel Disease - made me laugh.) But I had no idea what what a thiropurine was. I Googled it and found out on wikipedia it is a group of immune suppressents that includes 6 mercaptopurine and Azathiroprine. It also mentions that there is no protocol for increased skin cancer screening for patients on those meds. So I thought I should pass this along to the forum.