• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6mp effectiveness

Hi! So let me say that back in January I had a colonoscopy after a flare up showing that I had inflammation throughout my entire colon and officially confirmed that I had Crohn's disease. Thankfully, I had no fissures, no fistulas, and no strictures. My initial symptoms were not terrible; loose stools, but not diarrhea 2-3 times per day, abdominal discomfort, and mouth sores. So, initially, my doctor prescribed 40mg of prednisone after the colonoscopy, and looked to put me on 6mp. I went in for the blood test to make sure my body can handle this medication, but unfortunately, the lab screwed up the test, so I had to go in two to three weeks later to get it done again. Meanwhile, the prednisone was working; one formed bowel movement in the morning, and no abdominal discomfort. I was symptom free. When I finally started the 6mp, I had already tapered down to 30mg of prednisone. Then, the week after I fully tapered off the prednisone, my symptoms reappeared as the same before. I was only 4 weeks into the 6mp, and thought that we didn't give the 6mp enough time to "kick in." After a month of my symptoms not getting any better, my doctor put me back on 40mg of prednisone again, and of course, everything went back to normal again. My question is did I not give the 6mp enough time to kick in? It has been a little over 3 months since I started 6mp, and I just went in the other day for another blood test to see if the 6mp is in therapeutic range. By the way, I am on 50mg of 6mp. Any answers appreciated!

When my son was diagnosed he started prednisone and 6MP too. He did the prednisone taper over 7weeks, and had labs every couple weeks to check if 6MP was working. He had some symptom worsening initially when prednisone was finally stopped and also needed 6MP dose increased. Overall, it took about 6 months for his GI system to be symptom free. But looking back, I think the prednisone taper was difficult when he got down to the lower doses so I think everyone reacts a little differently there. Hard to see at the time if the 6MP was working due to that.

Lynda Lynda

Hmmm. Well I just started 6mp three weeks ago. Two 50mg tablets each morning. My GI wants me to take it for 3 months. My Humira has not been shipped to me yet, but should show up next week. My GI wanted me to take 6mp and Humira at the same time, but his office staff sucks and the Humira Patient Assistance Foundation paperwork was delayed. Now I will be on 6 mp for a month before I even start the Humira. My GI never prescribed prednisone. I was just diagnosed with Crohns.

So, my blood test just came back. Everything looked good from what my doctor said. My inflammation went down significantly, and my hemoglobin went up, even though that wasn't low to begin with. So they said the 6mp levels are adequate and that they are going to start to taper me off the prednisone starting today, 5mg each week. They want to closely monitor me while I taper, and if I start to flare up again, they said they would then look to maybe put me on remicade, but if all goes well and I don't flare up again, 6mp will be my medication. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

I thought I should update. It has been a little over two weeks and I am now down to 25mg of prednisone, and honestly, I feel like things are getting better as I taper. My stool is normal and only one bowl movement per day. I feel great! I did see my gi a couple of days ago and told me if I successfully taper without flaring that I would stay on 6mp and colazal. He also said that I should get a blood test when I am down to 10mg of prednisone. Hope everything stays this way!

Another update. Starting today, I am down to 15mg of prednisone, and things are still going extremely well. I am so hopeful that I will fully taper without flaring again. I will have to go in a week or two to get my blood work done again to check up on everything, but I am pretty sure that the results will be good. :)

Lynda Lynda

Another update. Starting today, I am down to 15mg of prednisone, and things are still going extremely well. I am so hopeful that I will fully taper without flaring again. I will have to go in a week or two to get my blood work done again to check up on everything, but I am pretty sure that the results will be good. :)
That's great news 😊

Well, I got good news and bad news. The bad news is that my bowel movements are looser and more frequent, and I am back up to 20mg of prednisone. Good news is that I still feel very well and that I will be starting Remicade sometime within the next month. I am not sure starting biologics is the best thing right now, but the 6mp is just not cutting it. I have already been on prednisone earlier this year, and I really need to get off it.