• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

7 Day Fever

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi all: Have had a fever for 7 days. This virus is my first and only (probable) Imuran side effect.

The fever goes down (more or less) during the day, then increases to over 101.5, 101.7, etc. in the evening and at night -- I know that isn't scary high, but it's high enough to keep me awake and shaking and freeeeezing cold. My fabulous new family doctor is aware; I've had a full work-up including blood tests (results copied to my GI).

Worst part: as the fever increases, pain in my knees, one wrist, and now also my right hip sets in. I don't mean twinges, I mean "my wrist hurts too much to use the soap dispenser." The knee pain is even worse.

While I wait for this lovely viral-something-or-other to run its course, any advice for coping with the fever? My quality of sleep is intensely poor, even though I'm spending 11-13 hours in bed each night.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Astra

Aw Kelly that's awful for you!
I don't have any advice only that I take paracetamol to reduce my temperature/fever
Speedy recovery and a big hug your way
xxx

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Thanks for the well wishes!

Day 8. Feeling sicker by the day, I think because my system is so tuckered out from running at a higher temperature and missing sleep while I'm shaking and rattling (teeth) and freezing. ;)

Tips welcome!

Last edited:
Aww I hope you feel better. I think your doctor should not look at this lightly, especially for this many days of having a fever. I was told that anything over 101 for more than 48 hours is a visit to the emergency room. With the meds they need to be careful when you run a fever. Maybe they need IV antibiotics or another med to control the fever.

When my DD is sick, I give her melatonin to help her sleep through the fever. I dont like giving her tylenol because I think fever is beneficial to fighting illnesses.

Oh and antibiotics dont help viruses, and they just deplete your immune system further.

Aw, Kelly, I hope you feel better soon! I suggest drinking hot tea and chicken broth, and tylenol... And keep up with as much rest as you can get!

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Jenn: I appreciate your insights and, after reading your message, have decided to leave a phone message for my GI.

Lydia: We're in full agreement on the antibiotics & viruses. As an aside, I'm allergic to a good number of antibiotics, so my family docs have always agreed that antibiotics are to be reserved for urgent cases of infection only (and then I will dig out all my epipens, alert a family member, have cell phone at my side...it's pretty funny). I'm a cranberry juice kind of gal for most UTIs, for example.
I do use Tylenol for longer-lasting fevers, though; I hear your reasoning about fever but I think controlling fever can be helpful when it shows no sign of waning in the short term (and I'm a wimp).

Shazzy: I'd totally forgotten about chicken broth. Thank you! I'm going to set out a can of chicken soup to heat up in the morning, and then maybe tomorrow evening I'll make a batch of homemade soup (if I can stay awake long enough?!).

It's 9:30 pm so I'll be crawling into bed soon for another exciting night. I've been nodding off throughout the evening already but am tired of lying in bed, lol.

Thanks again!

I am allergic to a lot of antibiotics as well. Its ok to be a wimp sometimes. lol.

Oh and take some vitamin C to give yourself a boost.

Kelly,
You shouldn't just assume this is a virus. AZA tends to reduce the number of neutrophils in the blood which fight bacteria as well. You shouldn't still be having a fever at day 8 and feeling worse.
Are you on steroids as well? If so these can mask the usual signs of infection that docs look for which can be misleading at times. It also reduces your bodies ability to produce a temperatute..ie it would be higher if it wasn't for the steroids.
You should really checked over again soon really. Well thats what I think, hopefully your gi will get back to you asap.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hiya, LM: That's an excellent point, thanks for raising it. The conclusion was reached after a fairly thorough exam + blood work, but I agree that it still look suspicious after all that time.

HOWEVER (drum roll and all that):

Fever has lifted! For the first time since last Tuesday, I've slept for 7 hours straight and awakened to either no or a low grade fever! I went to bed with a fever, but it's definitely better now. So relieved to see some improvement, and maybe another good night's sleep tonight will be all that's needed to get rid of the lingering symptoms (my knees still hurt quite a lot).

HOWEVER (drum roll and all that):

Fever has lifted! For the first time since last Tuesday, I've slept for 7 hours straight and awakened to either no or a low grade fever! I went to bed with a fever, but it's definitely better now. So relieved to see some improvement, and maybe another good night's sleep tonight will be all that's needed to get rid of the lingering symptoms (my knees still hurt quite a lot).
Glad you're feeling a bit better Kelly. What you were experiencing sounds miserable, let's hope the fever STAYS AWAY!