• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

72 hour fecal fat test

Hi undiagnosed friends,

Has anyone had the 72 hour fecal fat test? Was the test helpful? I am wondering what is usually tested next if this test comes back positive.

Danny is doing this now. His doctor's order was "normal diet" but I've read on lab websites that 50-100grams of fat is recommended daily. We are lucky if we get 50grams ... fatty foods make him feel worse.

thanks

Crohn's Mom

I know Sunshine did it, and she hated eating those foods because they made her feel sick too :(
Maybe she will pop on here soon when she's feeling better :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I believe Tamesis had this test also, although she hasn't been around on the forum in a little while. I think Sunshine had this test done twice, too, because they either lost or screwed up the results of the first one? I remember her talking about how she had to eat really fatty foods and she was very miserable both times. I think she ate a lot of fast food stuff like hamburgers and fries to get the fat intake she needed for this test.