• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

8 year crohns patient newly diagnosed with crohns in duodenum.

Hello I'm 28 and was diagnosed with crohns 8 years ago. It started out in my ileum and I went on several different medications including Humara azathioprine, Pentasa, prednisone , methotrexate and more that I can't remember ( not all at the same time ). In July of 2013 I started having alot of intense upper stomach pain that felt like an ulcer at first but didn't improve with proton inhibitors. I had an EGD in jan of 2014 biopsies were taken and it came back as crohns in my duodenum. Since then I've switched from humaira to Remicade and I take 30 mg of prednisone daily but at the moment nothing is working. If anyone else has had crohns in this area I would love to hear about it and any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Guttrouble1100 and welcome.

I don't have any tips specific to that area beyond avoiding trigger foods. Its important to get blood work to monitor deficiencies (B12, vitamin D, iron, etc).

Sending you my support.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Guttrouble1100 and :welcome:

No experience with duodenal Crohn’s at our end but I will tag my little penguin as her son suffers with Crohn’s in that location.

Is 30mg of Prednisone your starting dose or have you tapered to that?

Dusty. xxx

my little penguin

Staff member
DS has had issues in his duodendum
Vomitting at dx and nausea with eating or drink now.
Every scope shows duodenitis .
So far no scaring or nodules

DS has tried all the meds as well
Pentasa Asacol Mtx 6-mp remicade etc...
He is now on humira plus Mtx .
I can tell you when he was EEN ( no food formula only -peptamen jr )
All his upper issues stopped including vomiting .
Once food was started again the vomtiing came back until remicade .

Thanks for the responses, DJW these days it doesn't matter what I eat or even if I don't eat I still have stomach pain. I'm hoping the Remicade starts kicking in soon I've only had a couple infusions so far.

Sorry dusty kat I missed your question. I'm down to 30 mg a day now for the most part. I have been on higher doses but the 30mg seems to be the minimum for me right now. My gastro tried to decrease the dose but I started having more pain when I got below 30mg.

my little penguin

Staff member
It took DS three plus infusions to get better
He was still vomiting after the third infusion but not by time the fourth infusion came around