• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

9 weeks on LDN

Sorry about the delay in updates. So, I wish I came here bearing news about an amazing recovery after more than two months on LDN. However, that is not the case. It's been 9 weeks on LDN and I feel like I'm back at square one. My abscess is hurting and another one formed (or got larger if it was there already). I have blood almost every time I go. My stools aren't very formed. A lot of the time when I go it's just blood and mucous. It's been like this for over a week now. It's really discouraging. I mean I'm still not giving up on it because I want to give it the full 12 weeks before losing hope. I'm hoping that this is jut a little set back now. My 21st birthday is August 20th and all I want for it is to be able to have a beer with my friends without regretting it the next day. At the moment, it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Kev

Bosnianboy

Sorry to hear that there's been no eureka yet. I think your gameplan of staying on the 12 weeks is sound... longer if you have the pills. Speaking of which, are you certain that they came from a reliable source? One of the bits of info I garnered from the LDN forum (lowdosenaltrexone.org, I think) way back was that not all sources are reliable, and if it is not properly formulated and compounded correctly, it will lessen the chances of it working. There are all kinds of variables in making it right, and not all pharmacies go the extra mile to ensure it is. Another bit of info (and this is dated, from back in 07) was that candida (if you have it) can play havoc with LDN doing it's thing. Candida is one of those things doctors don't address or consider, but that doesn't mean it isn't a real issue. There is a simple test to see if you have it... look for long strains/strands in your saliva... if you have that, then start taking acidophilous to help combat candida. I'm not an expert or authority on this, just passing on anecdotal info that might help, OK?

I think you are brave to persist with the LDN. I also think it might be wise to at least add some pred enemas to your routine, or even a short sharp burst of pred to get those symptoms under control.
good luck.

Thanks for the input Kev. I got it from a reliable pharmacy according to lowdoesnaltrexone.org. I will see my Dr. asking him to give me a test for Candida. I got the pills from Irmat Pharmacy in NYC. I'll keep at it and see what happens. I'm not giving up.

Handle, Thank you. That means a lot to me. I'm highly considering starting up on enemas again. However prednisone wreaks havoc to me and makes me worse. Weird, I know.

BosnianboyCD - Sorry to hear of your struggles. Just a quick suggestions - if your disease is primarily in your colon, ask your doc about Entocort in lieu of prednisone. Its also a steroid, but is only absorbed in your colon so you don't have the systemic side effects pred can cause.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am sorry to hear about your set back this week. I agree that some pred enemas may be needed to nip this flare before it becomes worse.

Please continue to keep us posted.

Did you ever try mesalamine (Rowasa) enemas? They help me stop bleeding when I have a flare - and no steroids. I have UC.