• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

9 Years of Crohn's, now confused

Just joined up today, but lived with Crohn's for about 9 years starting at age 11.

I guess it started when I'd just started secondary school. I was fairly active fitness wise before getting any symptoms, and was pretty good with regards to my grades. A few months in I just started feeling huge constipation and stomach pains. Some kids thought I was faking it but I wasn't too bothered by that really, I wasn't really interested in their opinions. The main problem I had was with doctors. I mean this is 9 years ago now so I can't tell you what they put me on trying to relieve me of my symptoms, but none of it worked. A good 8-9 months later they decided I'd be better off visiting a doctor a good hour and a bit away, in a childrens hospital.

While this was a bit of a inconvenience for me, they were right. After spending a week inside (and one 12th birthday!) I was diagnosed. If I remember right I was put on azathioprine and started a modulen only diet for 8 weeks. While it wasn't the nicest thing in the world it did make me feel better, for a while at least. The problem was that after a while I would get ill again, as you do, so they'd start the modulen course again. After a while of going on the diet and upping my meds it had got to the point where I was spending 6 weeks well and 8 weeks not eating, so that had to go.

I then started infliximab (remicade is it called in other countries?), which did help for a little while, but again I guess I built up a tolerance towards it, and it just didn't work for long enough.

I'm going to shorten the next couple of years but essentially it's going on infliximab, upping the dose/lowering the time between weeks. Going on roids, that needle I've seen discussed here that you take every couple of weeks. I went through diets, tried getting fit, but nothing really worked. You name it I've probably been on it at some point.

At 19 it was the worst it had been ever. I was struggling to get through college (with a 50% attendance or something, and I never really did stay in the whole day). I couldn't concentrate on anything, didn't allow myself to drive for obvious reasons. Eventually it got to the point where I had to go into A&E. I had doctors monitoring me for a couple of days, having CT scans (or something, I wasn't quite with it that week!) to check the state of my stuff. After a few days they decided it had to be emergency surgery, somewhere near my 20th birthday (within a day or two, I don't remember much).

Spent the next week after it in hospital sleeping, then got allowed to go home. Through all this I managed to get a place at university in Portsmouth, where I'm at now.

In 9 years this is the first I've registered or even looked at a crohns forum. I guess now I'm just confused. I mean apart from the stoma I feel a lot better than I have at any point through my teenage years. But now I just don't know what to do. I'm doing well in my course, learning things and teaching myself things. I've been hitting the gym 3/4 times a week. Eating well. Been social for the first time in a while, going clubs/pubs/out in general. But I still just don't feel right. I guess I'm wary of the fact that I am most likely going to get ill again in future, and that most things I do now won't have much of an impact later on, but I don't really know.

Looking forward to talking to you all and posting here
Sean

Fist of all...Welcome to the forum. In here you will find a lot of info, and the most important thing, people who care, I am glad to hear you are in remission. Nobody knows if you are going to have a flare up again. Now enjoy your life. Of course everything you do now will have an impact later. The most important thing is to be positive. Best wishes.

SarahBear

Hi, Sean. Welcome to the forum!

It's completely normal to be apprehensive of good health after so much bad! Hopefully, as time goes on you'll feel more comfortable.

You might want to have a look around the Stoma subform. Are you still on the Infliximab?

David

Co-Founder
Hi Sean and welcome to the community :) I'm glad you found your way here and appreciate you sharing your story!

I'm really glad your health is improved after the surgery!

With the advancements they're making, I believe there is a LOT of hope for people with Crohn's these days. As such, I agree with the others, what you do today will have an impact tomorrow.

Again, welcome!

Hi Sean

I can empathise with how you are feeling. I felt very strange to be 'well' after my major surgery and Stoma in 2005, having had a pretty ropey and forgettable post Uni period from 1999 - 2005. It took me a while to adjust mentally but we were lucky to start a family just after so my surgery enabled me to focus on the kids and growing my family and career.

It's only recently that I've gone back into relapse (stress of work mainly) and you then realise how valuable feeling well is... Make the most of it, but find and be conscious of your limits...... I took my eye off my health though and am now clawing it back.

Uni days are the best of your life, make the most of them.

All the best

Paul

Spooky1

Hi, Price,

I've been there too. its such a young age to try and get a grip on what the hell's going on with the body, wondering why that particular illness didn't vanish like all childhood illnesses.

I trust it wasn't the Royal Alexandra Hospital for sick children in Brighton that they shifted you too.

college seems to be hard for most of us. I never really finished school successfully but went to night classes and did an online degree part time with Exeter University. You're great for making the effort to normalise life, but, like you, we all know just how much of a struggle life is with less energy, more pain, and quite a lot of social isolation.

Its a great forum here, so welcome! you're in the right place.

Best wishes,

Diane

Thanks for the welcoming everyone

And nah no longer on infliximab. I'm just on azathioprine now and some calcium tablets.

Yeah I don't think I'll lose sight of health luckily. Since I've actually been able to eat without being in pain I can actually have meals now properly. Exercise on the other hand is still up in the air. I do go the gym a couple times a week, and looking to start boxing/MMA/MT after my second surgery whenever that will be. Hoping I'll just be able to continue with that if I do get ill again!

Nah it wasn't Brighton, I've only been down here in SEngland since september when university started up. I went to the one in liverpool. I was wary of all the education things when deciding what to do too. Back doing A-Levels I just couldn't concentrate at all, so when tests rolled around I got low marks in pretty much everything. Now though (and while at college) I'm doing something which is completely coursework based. So even if I do get ill again, I can still spend longer than I should do on a bit of work, but still get it done. Rather than sitting a 150 minute exam feeling uncomfortable and generally out of it!

Again, thanks for the welcome everyone!

Spooky1

Good for you Price. I found it so hard to study, A level exams were stressful and i still had to take a letter from GP about needing the loo. but naturally i starved myself for a couple of days, just clear boiled sweets. I got through and did that degree, was a long time coming just like loads of other sufferers. We need time. Unfortunately its nature to want to live alongside the normal and do all the things they do with their good health.

good luck with the studies.

Bosing? leave it six months after surgery, me thinks! But a good attitude.

I did martial arts for womens self defense cos i'd have to use rural lanes for a loo, how very public and vulnerable. Also clothes changes. So i used to go along, took me years to gain a black belt. no way was i dynamic like the blokes as even the elderly can take a black belt, and downs syndrome too. They cannot discriminate. I used to go with a nasogastric tube, lol. Often i had to sit out because i just got nausic and fainted. I can't think why i bothered. these days the joints and fatigue just wont let me. But hey, you're young and with a really good attitude. Enjoy life the best you can. Thats what i say.