• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A bit upset or depressed maybe

I had my colonoscopy at the beginning of this month mainly because it had been 5 years since my last one and my rheumatologist wanted me to have it. I also decided to have it done now due to some bleeding and pain I was having during BMs and at other times (pain). My GI did the colonoscopy and sent me home with booklets on Crohn's and UC, but of course I don't remember much about that. He then saw me and put me on Flagyl and Prednisone. Everything was fine until today - not much pain, no bleeding. Today is a whole different story. The bleeding is back and the pain is back. The pain is not as bad as it was before the colonoscopy, but today is the first day it is back, so it will just get worse as the days go on.

So does this mean that the antibiotic was working? I've been off of it for........4 days. But I also went from 40mg of Pred down to 30mg of Pred on Tuesday. Wonder which one made me "better"? I certainly don't want to get on that antibiotic again! I am one of the very unfortunate ones who suffer from yeast infections when put on antibiotics. Diflucan is a wonderful thing, but it usually takes at least 2-3 doses to get it under control. I can pretty much forget over-the-counter stuff. TMI, I know.............:(

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hi Jen,

Antibiotics not only work in relation to possible infection but the ones they choose for us Crohnies also have an anti inflammatory effect too..

Really is a pain in the proverbial from the thrush aspect for you and totally sympathise even though I am one of the extremely lucky few never to suffer that way.

If you are decreasing the pred and are having problems already it may be they need to look at another med to reduce inflammation and you need to get your head round the aspect this is going to take a little time to nail.

Not a nice prospect and its a totally normal reaction to feel as you are at the minute - am in a similar boat myself now..

Get onto your GI and ask for a review asap. Tell him about the symptoms with the pred reduction and also the issues with the Flagyl too.

Hang in there things will get better!! ((hugs))

I see my GI on 12/3 -- unfortunately, he's out on holiday vacation until then. I am one of his first patients that morning! A week away, but I'll be OK. I haven't been officially diagnosed quite yet. Just the nurse saying the genetic testing for Crohn's was positive.

Too bad the ending of the antibiotic pretty much equals the day that the Pred went down. I suppose he'll know what caused it come back though. Hopefully. I guess I will just be thankful that I'm not in extreme pain all the time and I'm not in the bathroom a dozen times a day.

Not really complaining..................just wondering if this is normal.

C

catfud

Hey Jen, it can be a bumpy ride getting to that 'official' diagnoses. Also the trial and error of what meds work best for you can be a nightmare, especially with the side effects. Your mood will be all over the place and you probably wont know if your coming or going. Just have to take one day at a time. Also a bonus with the less pain and bathroom trips :)