• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A few questions about the Calprotectin test

Hi there.
I've suffered various gastrointestinal problems for quite a while now, and I finally got referred to a gastroenterologist recently who ordered a calprotectin test to check for any inflammation (as you all know).

My questions are:

Does it show inflammation throughout the entire digestive system? My stomach seems to be somewhat more affected than my bowel.

How long do signs of inflammation hang around? I'd been on a low residue diet for a few weeks before the appointment and my symptoms had eased a bit. I've eaten bad foods today (and am suffering for it :/ ) In hindsight, I'm wondering if maybe I should have eaten badly in the run up to the test. Although I know I can't change anything..

The form the doctor signed stated calprotectin, but nothing else. I've never had any other type of stool test (to check for blood etc). But the stool looked like it had black areas. Would the lab check for it anyway?

Plus how long did it take for you to get the results back?

Questions, questions! Sorry :p

valleysangel92

Staff member
Sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen your post.

I've just done some research and from what I can find the tests just show inflammation through the intestines and not in the stomach. There are other ways of finding if there is any other inflammation though such as blood tests for CRP.

I cant find anything to see how long the test would be effective for after inflammation has cleared but it is advised not to take NSAIDs for 2 weeks before the tests because it can alter the results and give a false negative. It is always useful to use a range of tests to determine the status of IBD in any case.

If the lab suspects blood they may inform your doctor and they might as for it to be checked, or they may just may a note in the report. The lab at my hospital wont carry out any tests not asked for by the doctor without checking with them first.

My hospital only contacts me with results if there is something wrong, otherwise i wait until i see my GP or GI. If you havent had the results and are concerned you could always just give them a call anyway.

aghh I just wrote a long reply and then my computer ballsed up !!!!!

Anyway...Thanks for the reply valleysangel. :) My results showed that my calprotectin levels were a bit raised, so I saw him again today to ask more questions about what to do next.

I didn't ask the question about the location, but he said that the calprotectin results really show the level of inflammation on THAT particular day. He is having me repeat the test as other testing is difficult for me for various reasons, and he joked that I should eat a curry and a few pints of beer (not a chance in hell! haha.) then repeat the test on a bad day to clarify the extent of the inflammation. I think I'll stick to some crisps or something :p aha.

He also mentioned meds and other things such as a virus or an infection could cause levels to rise.

I thought that was interesting. I didn't realise it how variable it was..