• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A Glum Chump Indeed

Hello all:

Just wanted to send an update and share my experience with you all.

I had an ileostomy on May 19th, and was finally released from the hospital yesterday. The surgery was successful and I apparently have a happy and healthy stoma. Unfortunately, there were a lot of complications afterwards and that extended my stay at the worst hotel ever.

I started getting nauseous and had terrible heartburn on the second day. Sunday morning, I couldn't stop throwing up. The surgeon on call was concerned about something called peristalsis. I was still on a liquid diet, and they put a tube through my nose and down my throat to try to remove all fluids from my stomach. The tube was in for seven days and I was not allowed any food or water. I was given fluids intravenously. By the time they took the tube out, between surgery prep and liquid diet, I hadn't had solid food in about two weeks and I lost a further 10 pounds and a lot of muscle. This tube made me absolutely miserable. I just felt so dehydrated, and between the catheter and rectal tube, it just felt like I didn't have many more holes left to 'plug.'

After the tube came out, they did another CT scan and found a fair bit of post-surgery fluid leftover in my stomach. A radiologist aspirated the fluid from a couple of different parts of my stomach and results showed an infection. I started on IV antibiotics four times a day and three PERC drains in---in my pelvis, liver and the upper left quadrant of my stomach. Unfortunately, the one in my pelvis and stomach both perforated my bowels, but wasn't discovered for a full week. The drains came out after 8 days.

After that, the docs began trying to figure out whether to do further surgery and drain the infected fluid, or put me on TPN nutrition and give my guts a rest. Neither of these two options sat well with me, but my opinion at this stage hadn't been solicited! While the doctors bickered between themselves, my surgery incision started gushing abscess like fluid (puss, etc.). (My staples were taken out too early and I have a sizeable wound that needs to be packed and dressed daily). So, from my incision gushed all this fluid...it was like a little waterfall every time I'd get up to go to the bathroom. The poor nurses were changing my dressing and cleaning me up at least five times in a night.

Next CT scan showed that the fluid had decreased, and they've narrowed down the bacteria and given me specific antibiotics rather than broad spectrum ones. And since my wound is no longer gushing but merely leaking, they allowed me to come home.

I have home nursing come every day to change my dressing. It's a relief to be home---I was going a bit mad in hospital. I'm under strict orders to take in at least 3000 calories a day which has been more of a struggle than I anticipated. But at least I'm able to eat croissants without worrying about the size of my hips!

My surgeon said that on a scale of 1-10 of Crohn's, he would place me at a 15. He said he'd never seen anything quite like it. Hmph. I've never wanted to be spectacular. Mediocrity has been more my goal.

So that's my story. Now that I'm home, I hope to heal faster, although I still seem to be in a fair bit of pain along my abdominal wall.

Anyways, I'm now an official member of the stoma club! Yay!

Kismet

Terriernut

Kismet....FFS!!!! Thats horrendous! Do you have someone at home to help you? Besides nurses...they dont bring tea or water do they?

:yfaint:

Hey Misty

FFS is right! I think I've used the 'F' word more often in the past month than my entire teenage years.

Thank you so much for your concern. I have a partner who is AMAZING and is doing EVERYTHING. Without my partner around, there is no way that I could be home...you're right, the nurses don't get you a cup of tea...they change my dressing and are on their way. The dog and the cat are even trying to be on their best behaviour. My mom is coming next weekend.

I've started on some protein/calorie drinks used by bodybuilders from the health food store to try to increase my calorie and protein intake. I really want to heal as fast as possible without compromising my body.

One day at a time...

Oh Kismet, I feel horrible you didn't have a fun ostomy surgery experience to say the least. I'm hoping for a fast and uneventful recovery!
Your next step is giving your stoma a name.

I'm really hoping that my recovery will go well too, Kossy. I had thought that I would spend upwards of two weeks, potentially, in hospital. I hadn't counted on starting my sixth week there.

Gee, I'm really bad/unimaginative at naming things (I had a doll named Dolly, a stuffed teddybear named Teddy....well, you get the drift...). On my second night in hospital and under the influence of some lovely narcotics, I had a dream that I was James Bond, but rather than a gun, I was shooting my stoma off at the bad guys and they were gasping and running away or subdued by what was coming out of my stoma. Ahem. My partner suggested naming it Bond, James Bond. Which would work well 'cause I can't wait to have a good martini...mmm, gin.

Thank you for your good wishes, Kossy. What have you named your stoma? I've been offline while in hospital and don't think I caught the name...

Cheers,

Kismet

OMG, you sound remarkably cheery given such a horrendous experience. Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. Bond sounds like a great name for your stoma.............. or 'Mish Moneypenny' :) Rest up, heal well and enjoy your martini.

Grumbletum: you are a Sean Connery Bond lover, are you?! :) I'm loving me some of that Daniel Craig! I think some of the worst parts of being in hospital were a few horrific nurses that were on duty on key days. As an example, after I got back from radiology the first time they aspirated my stomach and pelvis, I was overdue for pain meds by an hour. I asked the nurse for the meds, and she took 3 hours and four reminders before she came through. I don't really remember it...my partner found me unconscious in bed, rang the nurse and she came with the pain meds then, apparently. Just lots of moments like that. But I'm loving being home and all the 'normalness.' I woke up this morning to my cat staring at my as if to say "Hey slacker, where you been? Could you get out of bed and let me out. It's 5 am, and I have plenty to do."

Misty: if only I had a "Q" in my life who could rig "James Bond" up with some speedy and easy ostomyware!