• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A mile in your shoes . . .

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
If you could choose one person to have experience Crohn's for 1 week, who would it be? Spouse, parent, child, boss, ex-spouse, Dr. Phil? You know, the "walk a mile in your shoes" kinda thing . . . or more appropriate for here, "spend a day in your r.room"!

Me? Husband, definitely, husband!

D

DannyB

Well hell yeah my darn husband he is a waste of space :eek2: :lol: :ybatty:
hehe just kiddin folks for sure!

But if I could allow somebody to walk in these shoes for a day, I really wouldn't. Life is a choir but it's how methodically you deal with the daily choirs that helps see you through.

I really don't want people to feel this because I amn't looking for sympathy or understanding. If they aren't willing to understand then why should I teach!?

Thnks

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
OH, yessss, the first GI doc. I had that was so harsh and made me cry, I would love him to try this for just a little while. Brilliant answer, GoBucks26!

I was thinking the same thing. I woudn't really wish it on anyone, but there are a few docs I can think of who could use a little help on the learning curve ...

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hmm... it is definately a toughie!

Truthfully though I do not think I would want to on anyone. I just it would be awful to think that someone would have to go through what I am (or more correctly did) and be thought to be faking it. It was not that anyone ever accused me of faking any of my symptoms, but I sometimes thought I was. I mean, it is hard to determine what is normal when normal for you has been a growling stomach for months and cramps.

I think a lot of people would become a bit more considerate or open to others if they really understood what it was like though to go through this disease (or any other really). What looks like laziness or weakness is really a totally different perspective when you are on our side of the disease (as I am sure everyone here realizes).

Sorry Cara, but I can't think of anyone who deserves it. I guess I fail at the poll :(.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Well, if it's temporary, then it's not evil. I think all GI docs need to try it. Maybe a good case of food poisoning will show them how it feels all the time and make their bedside manner a little more compassionate. I have told many people to compare it to the flu, or food poisoning, or even just food that doesn't agree with you, but all the time, not just temporary.

V

Valentina

I would wish my current CD on my husband as well ;) hehe
but only because I feel pretty good Crohns related, and I would love to give him a break from his issues with his.

at my flair, I used to wish my dad would realize what I was going through, so I guess its safe to say Ive wished it on him before, I know that sounds awful, but I really felt completely unsupported by him at times, and he would act like he just didnt get it even though I tried to explain things. If someone I love told me they had a disease/issue that required chemo of all things, I would go out of my way to at the very least look up what they had on the internet and to try to understand and help them with what they were going through, not just constantly give them the excuse "sorry, I have no idea about that"

M

meapache

Oh without a doubt Monica's, of her 3 doctors, Dr. Lee! the first time she met him he bought her to tears, she called me up crying after he told her that her rectal area had just wasted away,(he tried to hide but i found and dealt with him, lol) he did the surgery, when she woke up the fistula area went from 2 to 6 inches long he had scraped so much tissue away, and she had a stoma to boot which was suppose to be reversed in 3-4 months, this was 4-7-06, the packing started to hurt her, i asked the nurse for tweezers and scissors so i could remove it, only after she freaked after looking at the surgery site..I have a ??, she saw him today and finally said the fistula is improving, (mangosteen juice has been a help, thanks Cara) but the rectal area is still not healing properly and he will not do the reversal until it does, say she'll have no control, is there any excercise she can do to strengthen the area, she was a little upset because he's so coy, nonchalant..SO yes i wish he could just switch bodies with her. Sam

hello, I guess it would be my husband to, then he would know what it was like. He is supportive but nobody can really undrestand till they live with it
~~~HUGS~~

I think my wife gets enough of a taste seeing me on the floor screaming in pain until I lose my voice.

I'd say doctors, the high school teachers/officials who kicked me out for being too lazy to go to school despite being ill, and some bosses/staffing coordinators I've had the pleasure to deal with would be good candidates.

But I think if I had to pick it would be my mother. She tortured and abused the crap out of me because I was sick. I was a pathetic bum and she was going to make me pay for the inconvenience and shame I brought her. She would go on forever about how I wasn't really sick and I was just making it all up to skip school. All this, and she was the only person I had who could have protected and defended me. I'd give it to her permanently if I could. She earned it. She wouldn't think I was a bum back then if she could feel the pain just once. In fact she'd be whining and expecting everyone to take care of her every need. No one would though, because as far as us healthy people are concerned: "You don't look sick."

i think i would choose my ex-boss. and i'd give him more than a day.....

everyone else? i'd just like them to watch a webcam of me when i'm not smiling and looking like i'm ok.... when i'm in pain, crying, rushing to the loo. maybe even let them have a look in my head and see the thoughts that run through my mind...

butt-eze

Superstar
My vote is with GoBucks! I wish just one specific doctor could experience it so that he understood all aspects of the disease, not just the gist of it.
I would never wish it on my husband my disease has caused enough heartache in our family. He sat by my side for a month while I was in the hospital.

Kev

Welll, despite sharing the oh so noble of me/us 'I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy' mentality.... just keep in mind that it is survivable... but, oh, I digress...

You all have seemed to have overlooked the one, perfect candidate for this. And its not any form of anti American backlash (I like Americans, those I've met first hand in person; and those I've come to know on the net @ the forum) AND I'm not making a political statement. This isn't latent Bush whacking. Any old American President will do... regardless of race, gender or political stance. The only 'condition' I would make is that it would work best if it was a newly elected president.. in his/her 1st term of office.. Imagine if it hit during the inaugural?

Anyway, my other condition is that the recipient not know it's only for 1 week.
Imagine... the President of the United States... struck down with IBD, and w/o knowing it was a 1 week case, or that it couldn't recur again at some future time. Think the full power of the Oval Office would have the might of the US all focused on finding a cure... pronto.. no expense spared. And in the interim, it wouldn't surpise me if insurance companies HAD to cover all IBD meds in toto..
and one couldn't be turned down for insurance, or fired from their jobs, etc...

Yeah, that's who I'd like to see get this.. The leader of the most powerful nation in the free world. Then we'd soon see an end to all this nonsense.

I would wish it on the presidents and board members of the pharmaceutical companies. Then they can experience the inadequacy of the current medications. If they are good enough for us, they ought to be good enough for them.

Dan

The big boss

My big boss definately. After surgery (removal of gall-bladder, ileum and half colon) he told me I had just a bit of colitis, should be dieting all the time and relocated me within the University on the worst place he could find.

A certain intern that had the nerve to tell me when I was down to 118 lbs from 155 that I have Crohns disease and I would have it the rest of my life " so you need to learn to live with the pain."
Here to you for being ignorant and crude.

I wish my boyfriend just to experience a colonoscopy and all the other tests, and the humira shots! Just so he would know what I go through and maybe be a little more supportive!

I think the perfect candidate would be all of these CEO's that Run the insurance companies that try to deny patients the care and treatment they deserve.