• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A Question about Mouth Sores

Okay, this might be a dumb question, but if you have an ulcer/canker sore in your mouth is there something they can do to test if it's Crohn's-related? Just curious. Thanks!

I have no idea but I feel for you - cankers are painful. I was told though that a sign it is crohn's related is the duration they stay and they come in clusters ~ where most people get rid of them in a couple of days and usually only get one.
________
Box Vaporizer

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Mayflower, I get Cankers all the time and I have never had them tested or is there such a test. They are ulcers and sometimes meds, teeth, or acidic foods can bring it on. When ever I am on Flagyl, almost guaranteed I get one, last week I got 2 at the same time, first time in over 30 years. Anyone know of such a test??? There are ways to help the pain when they do come but it crohns realated.

Mayflower537 said:
Okay, this might be a dumb question, but if you have an ulcer/canker sore in your mouth is there something they can do to test if it's Crohn's-related? Just curious. Thanks!
Never a dumb question. Oral aphthous ulcers, like the one in picture, can be associated with Crohns, as well as a broad range of other conditions. I've had them off and on going back to my 20's, though I haven't had any in quite awhile. Here's a good article on them Aphthous ulcer

180px-Aphthous_ulcer.jpg

I've gotten them for as long as I can remember. Usually one at a time, though, and I usually am guaranteed to accidentally bite it once or twice due to the swelling, which of course prolongs the agony.

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was a shot in the dark. :)