• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A Strange New/Recurring Symptom...

A little back story -

Diagnosed age 8 - sbr.
Remission for 8 years, flare at 16 - sbr.
Back and forth on an on since then.

All through high school I had serious problems with my hips. My orthopedist told me to take Advil for the pain. Of course it ate a hole in my stomach and he swore up and down he never told me to take it. This is the same doc who put a cast on my hand for six weeks due to nerve damage, but just wrapped my mother's broken wrist.

Yes, he was useless and my mother told him so - VERY loudly. I spent more than half of my high school career on crutches due to that jackass.

Finally I ended up in for an MRI for some reason and they discovered HUGE ovarian cysts. Somehow the cysts were putting pressure on the muscles that connect my hips to my spine. My surgeon went in with scopes - I was 18 - took care of them and put me on the pill. A couple years later he had to go in again.

I had my tubes tied when I was 22, but the way my cysts form, I only had a little reprieve. Tying of my tubes was not for my cysts, but I decided years ago not to have children. I've had problems with cysts since then, but nothing more than an annoyance. I now have a Mirena in there and it seems to be helping those things.

This past week my hip went out - WAY out. Normally my left hip will bother me a bit, but nothing that slows me down. This is my right hip and it was so wonky that I had to sleep in the barkalounger for three nights. I've been waddling around with my cane and fervently avoiding my crutches. My guts are also hurting much, MUCH worse.

Stacy, my wonderful hubby, spoke to my GI. Both are worried that I have an abscess down there somewhere. Things haven't gotten worse, actually, the hip is a little better today than it was. I'm not able to walk and everything hurts, but I'm not in enough pain to send me to the ER over this holiday weekend. I know I'll get cruddy treatment over this weekend, but did promise my GI that I'd go if I need to.

So, I thank you for reading all this and wondering if anyone's had hip problems attached to Crohn's symptoms - other than arthritis issues, which I also have.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
When Matt presented to the ER last December with a abdo pain, a noticeable limp, right hip pain and the inability to lay down with his leg straightened without being in excruciating pain the surgeon said there and then he thought he had a microperforation and psoas abscess. They were unable to pick it up on CT scan but he stood by that diagnosis.

He received 5 days of IV antibiotics and Hydrocortisone and improved so was discharged. However he presented again, 12 days after discharge, to a different ER and in a worse condition and they thought the same thing. He received the same treatment for 5 days and when they rescanned him they found the abscess on the psoas muscle just as they had predicted.

Matt always described the pain as being in his hip and to the outer side rather than toward the groin.

Dusty. xxx

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I often get pain in my hips from my CD (flare-ups). It comes and goes quite frequently, but the pain intensity can vary. In my opinion, the hip, elbow, and wrist pains are the worst.

I often get pain in my hips from my CD (flare-ups). It comes and goes quite frequently, but the pain intensity can vary. In my opinion, the hip, elbow, and wrist pains are the worst.
I know how you feel, my hip started paining really badly yesterday now today I got the start of a flare up,have had joint pan in the wrists and elbows fot the last week so I should have known.

I have a form of arthritis called ankylosing spondylitis it occurs with inflammatory illness like crohn's. It effects the back and the SI joints (your hips, many people feel the pain in there groined area) you might want to ask your gi doc about seeing a rheumatologist. It's treated the same way crohn's is since it's also inflammation.
Good luck.

I've always know of joint issues in conjunction with Crohn's as my first symptoms showed when I started walking. I had two sets of ankle surgeries and went in a number of times for this quack to drain my ankles until the pain migrated to my guts and I was a very easy diagnosis (Mom has it too).

It has just been that my hip pain was usually due to my ovarian cysts that I came to you guys to talk about it. Everyone here has been so great and open about their symptoms and how they handle everything.

I was wondering if it could be something other than cysts and my GI has already set me up for a CT in a couple days. Holidays are not the best time to walk into the ER. My GI has made me promise to go to the ER and call him office if things get worse. I have to say that I love my GI the way I've cared for very few of my docs over the years. I trust him.

So while my hip is feeling better, my knee - same side - had blown up like a balloon! I'm icing it now to see if that will help.

Dusty - the way you explained Matt's hip problems perfectly explain mine! In high school I was laying on one of the larger tables in the art room. Just talking to a friend and hanging out after school. It was then that I realized my hip couldn't straighten out flat. I don't know how I missed that particular bit of information prior to that. Thank you for explaining the way you did! You hit it on the nail!

As I said, I have a CT set up in a couple days - Stacy's keeping track of when. And I will be seeing my GI on Friday. It's a 2 hour drive, but Stewie is more than worth it!

I also have ankylosing spondylitis, and it's very painful. When I wake up, or I've been laying down for a long time, it's very stiff and feels terrible. Remicade is the usual treatment for it, so I just have to deal with it for about a month. I also have really bad hip and knee pain. I also have RA, so it could e due to that. I've gotten used to the joint pain, although it sucks. I try to get up and walk around a few times during the day, and it helps alot. The worst is when I've been laying down for a while and I get up to use to bathroom or make food. Once I lay down again I get these horrible jolts of extreme back pain. It's right in the muscles, all over my entire back. It goes on for about ten minutes, and the pain is so bad that I have trouble breathing and my whole body shakes. Once it goes away, I'm fine, but I hate it so much. The painkillers don't seem to do much for that pain, but like I said, it's only for like, ten minutes.
I just had Xrays done to see how bad the inflammation is around my spine and hips. I haven't gotten the results back because it's the weekend, but I'm going to call tomorrow.

When I had an intra-abdominal abscess last year I always felt the pain in my right hip joint around the psoas muscle it didn't restrict my movements though and it was never excruciating. Your right swollen knee might be a reactive / sceptic arthritis due to increased inflammation in the body both are very painful, hope you get sorted very soon if you feel feverish get to the ER ASAP

I was wondering if it could be something other than cysts and my GI has already set me up for a CT in a couple days. Holidays are not the best time to walk into the ER. My GI has made me promise to go to the ER and call him office if things get worse. I have to say that I love my GI the way I've cared for very few of my docs over the years. I trust him.
oh i had an ovarian cyst that I waited to long to get treated and it defiantly ranks as one of the most painful things i've ever felt. I end up loosing the ovary among other things. What ever pain I have it's always my first thought.
Good luck and it's great you found a doc you can trust.

I've been trying to get them to take my ovaries since I was 18! I know HRT is not a lot of fun, but my ovaries have done little positive for me in my life.

Sorry, my ovaries have been a bone of contention for many years. I finally convinced my surgeon to tie my tubes, even though legally...

Yeah, want those puppies gone! Will have to talk to my docs about the next step. If it is actual ovarian cysts and not an abscess, I'll have to figure out what to d next as the Mirena isn't helping - if it's cysts.

Honestly, at this point, I'm not sure what I'm hoping that it is! We pretty much know that they're going to have to go in and fix my guts again, but if it's cysts, then that a whole other issue and they can't go in with scopes any longer as it's quite the mess in there. *sigh*