• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ab workouts?

For those ostomates who are active or exercising, are there any particular workouts/activities you prefer to tone your midsection?

When I asked my surgeon about getting a preventative hernia belt, she said they don't make much difference and it all comes down to maintaining an ideal weight, your age and abdominal strength (before and after surgery). I'm still a bit reserved about doing ab work without support, so I'm curious to know what you guys do and if you're using hernia support/prevention belts at all.

:luigi:

Last edited:
For me I like doing compound lifting to strengthen my core. I have been doing strong lifts 5x5 method of lifting to great success. You only do five exercises of squats, dead lifts, bench press, shoulder press, and rows. All of which work your core at least somewhat. You may want to check with your doc before hand but those are working for me. I also had a physical therapist show me a good ab work out that you can do sitting down but I honestly can't remember it to save my life. I hope this helps.

I wouldn't go crazy. If you want to go body weight exercises then start with a plank for ten seconds and gradually move up. Start out the plank by keeping your knees on the ground at first to minimize the stress and then move on to a true plank.

I hope this helps. Take care

nogutsnoglory

I don't do ab exercises but I really like my Nu-hope hernia prevention belt. Insurance covered it in full. I also just like it for the support it provides the barrier if it's ever a bit loose.

I don't do ab exercises but I really like my Nu-hope hernia prevention belt. Insurance covered it in full. I also just like it for the support it provides the barrier if it's ever a bit loose.
I'd likely feel a lot more comfortable using one of those belts (even if the doc says they don't make a difference), but my insurance needs a prescription or they won't cover it. And they aren't cheap :eek2:

nogutsnoglory

My ostomy nurse recommended it and it really holds things in place. I believe it was $140 but again insurance covered it. I have read and seen great things on it for people with huge hernias that it tucks right in.

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
Walking first...then planks and push ups....

I did not do any ab exercises until I felt ready to do so. It took me 2 years to feel comfortable enough to do so.

Nyx

I just started doing pilates again, and haven't had any problems with any of the exercises. I don't use a belt or anything. Not sure this has been helpful...lol

PsychoJane

I dont use any equipment. I mostly work on my tranverse adbominis. Plank, side planks, leg lift stabilisation and yoga boat. I don't feel the need for a belt in these situation. For crunches I use a yoga ball it seems to feel better for my stoma.

Thanks everyone!

I've been slowly doing more core work and I've found a few standing ab exercises to be helpful. Once we get out of minus 17C, I'll get into walking again! And I got a clear to use my bike again from my surgeon, despite being less than four months out of rectal surgery.