• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abcess/Fistula question

Potentially gross subject, read at your own risk!

I have a problem of a reacurring abscess. Several months ago it was lanced, drained (much fun!) and eventually it healed over. It has opened up again on and off and drained a little since.

It's been a little tender lately, but tonight while I was having some D I noticed more blood than usual with it. When I wiped I realised that the blood was not coming from my anus, but from where the abscess is. It was pretty bloody and some of the blood was a bit mucousy.

Should I bother seeing a doctor over this? Or should I just keep it clean and let it be? I don't have a doctor here, so it would be a trip just for this.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
If it gets worse, you'll need to go, even if it's just to get a prescription or something. I think you need a doc in your school area, you'll be there for a while right? Can you get a referal for one close to you? I think it's good to have one for a "just in case" reason. Making a trip home just to see the doc will be a pain in the butt. (Did I JUST say that?)

Wiles, go to your doctor and get antibiotics.
Generally they give you 2 types at the same time.
1 is for the infection inside the abcess and the other is for skin infections.
Oh, it's very important that you don't drink alcohol while on these antibiotics, it make you very sick. I can't remember the name of them, but when I get home I'll post the names.

I've had fistulas/abcess for 10 years now, they need to be treated.
I generally use some sort of padding in my boxers, as the blood/mucus will continually stain your trousers (you say pants!!!)
I've got 3 ongoing at the moment.

You say you got them lanced... did they "pack" them afterwards?
The ones I've had drained, I had to go to a nurse for 2-3 months afterwards to get the cavity packed with a dressing. This helped the abcess heal from the inside.
It's the only way of permanently getting rid of each one. But it is time consuming.

By the way, please read my thread in the support thread, titled "Male Infertility".
Any other queries regarding fistulas, I'm the Irish expert!!

It was packed the time I had it lanced. It was not packed for very long though, I remember having to take it out a week or so afterwards. Ugh, I hated pulling it all out. I hope I don't have to get that done again any time soon.

I've had this one for 5-6 years. The first time I was having trouble with it I just let it swell up and burst on it's own. I have another one, but it hasn't really ever been much of a problem.

One of the antibiotics (the main one) is called Flagyl.
I can't find on old container with the other one.

As for the packing, I had to get mine packed every day for 2-3 months after each one was drained.
As I said it was time consuming, but worth it.
I know what your saying about taking it out, but a nurse, who was dressing the wound, gave me a great tip. If you take a long hot bath, and gently pull out the packing, you don't feel a thing, apart from a slight tingling.

By the end of the 2-3 months, the cavity had totally closed on all of them, and they never re-opened.

The only problem is, a new one would appear. I've actually lost count now!!

As for the ones that burst, there's no better feeling than when that happens!!!
Strange as that may seem. But I find that they heal, then burst again in a vicious circle.